Pentagon steps up drone strikes in Somalia

Al Shabab militants parade new recruits after arriving in Mogadishu from their training camp south of the capital in this file photo. The US military has quietly upped the tempo of its operations in Somalia, conducting a growing number of drone strikes against Al-Qaeda affiliated Al-Shabab militants and other terrorists. (REUTERS/Feisal Omar/Files)
Updated 17 November 2017
0

Pentagon steps up drone strikes in Somalia

WASHINGTON: The US military has quietly upped the tempo of its operations in Somalia, conducting a growing number of drone strikes against Al-Qaeda affiliated Al-Shabab militants and other terrorists.
Since the start of the year, America has carried out 28 drone strikes in the Horn of Africa nation, with 15 of these coming since Sept. 1, the military’s Africa Command (AFRICOM) said.
That’s a big increase from last year. According to the London-based Bureau of Investigative Journalism, which maintains a tally of US operations in Somalia and elsewhere, there were 15 airstrikes against Al-Shabab in the whole of 2016.
The surge in activity comes as the US watches for an influx of terrorists from Daesh, which has lost almost all its territory in Iraq and Syria.
The US conducted a pair of drone strikes against Daesh in Somalia on Nov. 3, the first time it has hit the extremists there.
Though the Pentagon has provided few details about the strikes, spokesman Col. Rob Manning said this week that US forces had killed 40 Al-Shabab and Daesh terrorists in a series of five strikes on Somalia between Nov. 9 and 12.
On Wednesday, AFRICOM announced a sixth strike that killed “several” Al-Shabab militants 97 km northwest of the capital, Mogadishu.
The surge in activity comes after President Donald Trump in March loosened constraints on the US military in Somalia, allowing commanders to take action against suspected terrorists when they judge it is needed, without seeking specific White House approval.
The US is supporting the country’s fight against Al-Shabab, which has carried out a string of devastating bombings in Mogadishu and elsewhere.
In May, officials said only about 50 US troops were in Somalia providing training and advice for the Somali military and logistical support, but on Thursday the Pentagon said the figure is now at about 500.
Pentagon spokesman and Joint Staff Director Lt. Gen. Kenneth McKenzie told reporters Thursday that he did not necessarily think there was a ramping-up of operations, but said the “density of targets” meant more strikes had been possible.
“There’s no particular rhythm to it, except that as (targets) become available and as we’re able to process them and vet them, we strike,” he said.
McKenzie added that officials keep a close eye on foreign fighters’ movements from Iraq and Syria, but he would not say if the Pentagon was tracking terrorists flowing from their former “caliphate” through Yemen and onto Somalia.
Aside from US forces training and advising Somalia’s young military, about 22,000 African Union troops are helping secure outlying urban areas.
AMISOM, the AU’s mission in Somalia, has said it will withdraw 1,000 troops fighting terrorists in the country this year, as part of plans to pull out all soldiers by December 2020.
Washington is worried the reduction will hamper efforts against Al-Shabab.
Deputy Secretary of Defense Pat Shanahan met with Ugandan Defense Minister Adolf Mwesige in Vancouver, Canada on the margins of a UN peacekeeping summit this week.
Uganda is the main contributor to AMISOM and has been there for a decade.
Shanahan “acknowledged those Ugandan lives lost in Somalia.
He expressed his understanding of the frustration with the pace of progress in Somalia but also his confidence that progress is being made,” Shanahan’s spokeswoman Commander Sarah Higgins said.
For Jennifer Cooke, an Africa specialist at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, this “militarization” of US policy in Somalia is concerning.
“The raining down of strikes from the sky can give major fuel to recruitment by (terrorist) groups,” she said.
Cooke worried that increasing military intervention is not being matched by diplomatic efforts in Somalia as the US State Department’s budget is cut.
“You don’t have the counter-balance of a diplomatic strategy to go with that expanding military footprint,” she said, adding that rising civilian casualties were a real risk.


Philippine police: Gunmen kill 9 people who occupied farm

Updated 54 min 25 sec ago
0

Philippine police: Gunmen kill 9 people who occupied farm

  • At least two of the victims may have fired back at the attackers because spent pistol and shotgun casings were found in the area
  • The National Federation of Sugar Workers condemned the killings of its members

BACOLOD, Philippines: Gunmen killed nine members of a farmers’ group who occupied part of a privately owned sugarcane plantation in a central Philippine province, police said Sunday.
The victims were resting in a hut Saturday night when about 10 gunmen opened fire, police said. At least four farmers survived the attack at the plantation in Sagay city in Negros Occidental province, which has a history of bloody land feuds.
“There are groups fighting over that land,” Sagay police Chief Inspector Roberto Mansueto said.
At least two of the victims may have fired back at the attackers because spent pistol and shotgun casings were found in the area, Mansueto said.
“Witnesses say they heard only a few initial shots. Apparently the victims were just being threatened,” Mansueto told reporters. “But later there seemed to have been an exchange of fire.”
The National Federation of Sugar Workers condemned the killings of its members, who included four women and two minors. The group said the victims were forced to plant vegetables and root crops to feed their families on idle land that’s covered by the government’s land reform program but remained undistributed to poor farmers.
Two other peasant leaders belonging to the federation were killed in Sagay city last December and in February this year by suspected pro-government forces, the group said. It said that about 45 farmers asserting their land rights have been killed on Negros island under President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration.
Instead of offering an effective land reform program, Duterte’s government “red baits those who assert their rights to the land,” the group said, referring to pronouncements by civilian and military officials linking protesting farmers to communist guerrillas.
There was no immediate government reaction. Regional police chief Superintendent John Bulalacao condemned Saturday’s attack and said everything was being done to ensure the rapid arrest of the killers.
In September 1985, government forces opened fire on protesters, many of them farmers, in Negros Occidental province as they were commemorating the 1972 declaration of martial law by then-President Ferdinand Marcos. Several died in an event that left-wing activists still mark each year.