Manushi Chhillar: Indian medical student turned beauty queen

Indian beauty Manushi Chhilar wins the 67th Miss World contest final in Sanya, on the tropical Chinese island of Hainan, on Saturday. (AFP)
Updated 18 November 2017
0

Manushi Chhillar: Indian medical student turned beauty queen

JEDDAH: India’s Manushi Chhillar was crowned Miss World on Saturday, 16 years after the country’s Priyanka Chopra won the title in 2000.
Chhillar, 21, became the sixth Indian woman to win the glamorous pageant. She competed against 108 contestants from various countries at a glittering event at the Sanya City Arena in China. She was crowned by Miss World 2016, Puerto Rico’s Stephanie Del Valle.
Chhillar, a medical student who hails from Haryana, won both the “Head to Head” challenge and the “Beauty with a Purpose” segment of the competition. Earlier this year, she won the Femina Miss India 2017.
Born to doctor parents, Chhillar studied in St. Thomas School in New Delhi and Bhagat Phool Singh Government Medical College for Women in Sonepat. Her entire family was present at the pageant.
Chhillar was asked by the judges which profession deserved the highest salary and why. “My mother has been my biggest inspiration, so I have to say a mother’s job,” she replied. “It’s not always about cash, but love and respect as well. A mother deserves that the most.”
Chillar had earlier said she grew up admiring Reita Faria, the first Indian and Asian to win Miss World in 1966. Faria became the first Miss World winner to qualify as a doctor.
Former pageant winners from India — such as Sushmita Sen, Aishwarya Rai and Priyanka Chopra — have gone on to carve successful careers in Bollywood.
But Chhillar told Indian news agency PTI: “I disagree with the notion. I feel that Miss India is a stepping stone for anything you want to do, not just Bollywood.”


Weinstein reaches deal to settle civil proceedings for $44 million: report

Updated 24 May 2019
0

Weinstein reaches deal to settle civil proceedings for $44 million: report

  • The deal, which has not yet been signed, aims to cover all civil proceedings filed against the fallen Hollywood mogul
  • The settlement does not exempt Weinstein from the criminal proceedings brought against him for sexual assault

NEW YORK: Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein has reached a provisional $44 million settlement with alleged victims and creditors, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
The deal, which has not yet been signed, aims to cover all civil proceedings filed against the fallen Hollywood mogul, including those in Canada and the United Kingdom.
Weinstein’s spokesperson denied to comment.
The settlement does not exempt Weinstein from the criminal proceedings brought against him for sexual assault, for which he will go on trial in September.
Weinstein — a catalyst for the #MeToo anti-harassment movement — has been charged over the alleged assaults of two women and faces life in prison if he is convicted at the trial, which could last five weeks.
In addition to the alleged victims and creditors, the settlement covers the proceedings started by former New York state attorney general Eric Schneiderman, who has been succeeded by Letitia James.
The proceedings aim specifically to guarantee the alleged victims will be compensated.
James’s spokesperson also declined to comment.
The settlement amount will be paid out by insurance agencies, the Journal reported, several of which count The Weinstein Company, the production company Weinstein co-founded, among their clients.
Since October 2017, Weinstein — one of the most powerful men in Hollywood before a cascade of sexual misconduct allegations precipitated his downfall — has been accused of sexual harassment and assault by more than 80 women.
Among his accusers are prominent actresses such as Ashley Judd, Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek.