KSA signs deal for archaeological surveys on Farasan Island

Google map showing Farasan Islands in Jazan region.
Updated 23 November 2017
0

KSA signs deal for archaeological surveys on Farasan Island

RIYADH: The Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTH) has signed an agreement with a team of French scientists to extend an archaeological survey at two sites on Farasan Island in Jazan region.
The supervisor of the Antiquities and Museums at SCTH, Husain Abu Al-Hasan, and Soline Marion de Bros, from First Paris University and head of the French team on the Saudi-French project assigned to carry out the archaeological surveys, signed for their respective parties at SCTH headquarters on Tuesday.
Al-Hasan said the deal aims to exchange experiences between the two parties and benefit from different scientific approaches in archaeological surveys.
He said the deal is a part of agreements worked out by the SCTH with key universities, and specialized centers and institutes at the global level in the area of antiquities and museums.
The agreement contained a number of elements including using the latest technologies in exploring archaeological sites, renovation of antiquities, and scientific publication of findings on the basis of globally known approaches, he said.
The SCTH has so far signed more than 34 agreements with a number of universities and specialized institutes inside and outside the Kingdom… he said.
de Bros said the deal includes conducting studies at all archaeological sites on Fursan Island from the pre-Islamic era to the early Islamic period.
She stressed that the Kingdom’s land had represented a point of contact between world civilizations and cultures, and hosted a civilization that had an enormous impact on human history.


Saudi crown prince meets families of servicemen killed in line of duty

Updated 14 November 2018
0

Saudi crown prince meets families of servicemen killed in line of duty

  • The prince welcomed the guests and passed on the greetings and appreciation of King Salman to all the families of all those killed

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the first deputy prime minister and minister of defense, has met the families of members of the armed and security forces killed in the line of duty.
At the start of the reception, at the Royal Court on Nov. 13, the prince welcomed the guests and passed on the greetings and appreciation of King Salman to all the families of all those killed and the ruler’s pride in their sacrifices in defense of their religion and homeland. Prince Mohammed said many other families of fallen officers were not present at the gathering but that efforts would be made to meet them all, and that all families of fallen and wounded servicemen are cherished.
“We have assigned departments concerned with the families of the martyrs of the duty, wherever they are, to fulfill their requirements and to communicate with them, and we are in fact” one united family, the crown prince said.
He added that he was pleased to meet the families, and asked God to welcome those who had died, heal the injured, bless the efforts of the armed forces and security forces, and guide them to victory and success.
The families expressed happiness at meeting the crown prince and asked him to convey their greetings and appreciation to King Salman. Prince Mohammed was joined at the reception by other members of the royal family and officials.