Kuwait’s 88-year-old ruler leaves hospital after checkup

Emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah. (AP Photo/Mark Wilson, File)
Updated 23 November 2017
0

Kuwait’s 88-year-old ruler leaves hospital after checkup

KUWAIT CITY: Kuwait’s 88-year-old ruling emir has left the hospital following a checkup after an earlier announcement that said he was suffering from a cold.
The state-run KUNA news agency reported on Thursday that Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah left the hospital.
He entered the hospital Wednesday for checks.
Sheikh Sabah has ruled Kuwait since January 2006. He came to power after parliament voted unanimously to oust his predecessor, the ailing Sheikh Saad Al Abdullah Al Sabah, just nine days into his rule and shortly before lawmakers received his formal letter of abdication.
In recent months, he’s been working to try to negotiate an end to the diplomatic crisis engulfing Qatar after four Arab nations cut ties to Doha.
Kuwait is an oil-rich OPEC member wedged between Iraq and Saudi Arabia.


Algeria deports nearly 400 migrants back to Niger

Updated 28 min 46 sec ago
0

Algeria deports nearly 400 migrants back to Niger

  • The IOM and EU are intensifying efforts to return African migrants home
  • 391 migrants from 16 west and central African countries had arrived in Assamaka

NIAMEY: Algeria has deported nearly 400 African migrants trying to reach Europe, sending them back over the Sahara desert into neighboring Niger, the UN migration agency (IOM) and Niger said on Sunday.
The IOM and European Union are intensifying efforts to return African migrants home, after thousands have died making the dangerous crossing to Europe across the Mediterranean in overcrowded boats. Many get stuck before ever reaching Africa’s northern coast, either in Libya, where they suffer slavery and abuse at the hands of militias, or Algeria.
IOM operations officer Livia Manente told Reuters in an email that the group of 391 migrants from 16 west and central African countries had arrived in the Nigerien town of Assamaka on Friday on about 20-30 vehicles, after being stopped while heading to work in various Algerian cities.
“They claim their phones were confiscated and that conditions were poor — not much food and water, crowded rooms),” she said. “They were transported in trucks after the locality of In Guezzam and then obliged to walk across the border ... including families with pregnant women and children.”
Aboubacar Ajouel, the mayor of Agadez, the last destination for the migrants, confirmed that they had arrived.
Algeria declined to confirm this particular deportation, but said that 20,000 migrants had been prevented from reaching Europe by Algerian authorities since January, thanks to security measures put in place at its borders with Mali and Niger.
“We have no choice but to prevent them,” Hassen Kacimi, director of Algeria’s interior ministry in charge of migration, told Reuters by telephone.