Sky News correspondent Sam Kiley joins CNN in Abu Dhabi

Sam Kiley joins CNN from Sky News. (Screengrab)
Updated 24 November 2017
0

Sky News correspondent Sam Kiley joins CNN in Abu Dhabi

LONDON: CNN has hired Sky News journalist Sam Kiley as senior international correspondent based out of its Middle East office in Abu Dhabi.
Kiley, whose journalistic career spans more than three decades, has worked at the BBC, America’s PBS Frontline program and Sky News, first as the network’s defense and security editor, then as Middle East correspondent in Jerusalem, and latterly as foreign affairs editor.
“CNN is the world’s most watched news network with an unmatched presence on every major global story. I have grown up as a journalist alongside CNN teams from Somalia to Sarajevo and Mosul. I have always admired them and am proud to be joining my friends at the network at this exciting, and unpredictable, time,” said Kiley.
Kiley’s long-standing experience covering Middle East affairs includes a stint as Middle East bureau chief for The Times before moving to the London Evening Standard newspaper in 2001 to report on the wars in Afghanistan and the Israel-Palestinian conflict.
He then went on to present “Truth and Lies in Baghdad” for Channel 4 television’s current affairs series “Dispatches,” before joining the network full time. While covering the invasion of Iraq in 2003, Kiley was kidnapped along with his cameraman and team, narrowly avoiding execution.
The only journalist to have spent an entire tour with British troops fighting in Helmand, Kiley recounted the six-month deployment in his 2009 book, “Desperate Glory,” which was named an Economist Book of the Year.
“Sam is a uniquely experienced correspondent, with an outstanding record of investigative reporting. He has managed bureau, broken major stories and delivered powerful, important documentaries throughout an extraordinary career. He is a formidable addition to our international news gathering operation,” said Deborah Rayner, SVP of international newsgathering for TV & Digital at CNN International.
Becky Anderson, managing editor of CNN Abu Dhabi, said: “We are thrilled to be welcoming Sam to Abu Dhabi. He has a remarkable portfolio of achievements under his belt and will be a fantastic asset to our reporting across this region.”


Google to charge Android partners up to $40 per device for apps

Updated 20 October 2018
0

Google to charge Android partners up to $40 per device for apps

  • The new system should give Google’s rivals such as Microsoft Corp. more room to partner with hardware makers
  • The fee can be as low as $2.50 and rises depending on the country and device size

BRUSSELS/SAN FRANCISCO: Alphabet Inc’s Google will charge hardware firms up to $40 per device to use its apps under a new licensing system to replace one that the European Union this year deemed anti-competitive, a person familiar with the matter said on Friday.
The new fee goes into effect on Oct. 29 for any new smartphone or tablet models launched in the European Economic Area and running Google’s Android operating system, the company announced on Tuesday.
The fee can be as low as $2.50 and rises depending on the country and device size, the person said. It is standard across manufacturers, with the majority likely to pay around $20, the person added.
Companies can offset the charge, which applies to a suite of apps including the Google Play app store, Gmail and Google Maps, by placing Google’s search and Chrome Internet browser in a prominent position. Under that arrangement, Google would give the device maker a portion of ad revenue it generates through search and Chrome.
Tech news outlet the Verge reported the pricing earlier on Friday, citing confidential documents.
The European Commission in July found Google abused its market dominance in mobile software to essentially force Android partners to pre-install search and Chrome on their gadgets. It levied a record $5-billion fine, which Google has appealed, and threatened additional penalties unless the company ended its illegal practices.
The new system should give Google’s rivals such as Microsoft Corp. more room to partner with hardware makers to become the default apps for search and browsing, analysts said.
Qwant, a small French search company that has been critical of Google, said in a statement on Friday that it was “satisfied that the European Commission’s action pushed Google to finally give manufacturers the possibility to offer such choices to consumers.”