Clean energy giants meet in Jeddah

The event aims to identify the latest technologies used in the production of clean electric energy.
Updated 01 December 2017
0

Clean energy giants meet in Jeddah

JEDDAH: The Saudi Electricity Company (SEC) inaugurated the First Clean Energy Forum at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Jeddah on Wednesday.
Considered the first of its kind, the event with the slogan “Clean Energy and Fuel Additives,” attracted manufacturers, suppliers, fuel additives and combustion enhancers from around the world, and included specialists from government agencies, as well as companies and universities in the Kingdom.
The forum, held over two days, identified the latest technologies in the production of clean electric energy that use environmental standards to treat conventional fuels.
Clean Energy Forum manager and SEC quality and performance manager Fouad Al-Saiedi told Arab News: “This is the first clean energy forum in the Kingdom, and we started with fuel additives since 90 percent of energy production in Saudi Arabia depends on fossil oil. That is a problem, and we are here to exchange clean energy applications to deal with fossil oil from the very first stages.”
He added: “Twenty research papers were presented by more than 200 experts from around the world. And we regard the attendance of the president of the Authority for Meteorology and Environmental Protection, Khalil Al-Thaqafi, as real support to this initiative ... Shoura Council member Hadi Al-Yami also attended the forum.”
Thomas Parish, a speaker at the forum and a representative of the TEKH company, told Arab News: “It is a really refreshing to come to Saudi Arabia and see people trying to do what’s good, and to be a part of that process.”
Companies were invited to the forum to present state-of-the-art technologies used in the production of clean electric energy, in addition to the treatment of conventional fuels.
The initiative is considered to be at the heart of implementing Saudi Vision 2030.


Turkey and US strongly deny sharing 'any audio recording'

Updated 19 October 2018
0

Turkey and US strongly deny sharing 'any audio recording'

  • Secretary of State says report he had listened to a recording of Jamal Khashoggi’s death was false
  • Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu also denied sharing any audio recordings with US officials

LONDON: Turkey and the United States denied on Friday that Ankara had shared with Washington an audio recording related to the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said an ABC News report, citing an unnamed source, that he had listened to a recording of Khashoggi’s death while in Istanbul on Wednesday was false. 

Pompeo, who also visited Saudi Arabia this week, said he had neither seen nor heard such a recording.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu also denied sharing any audio recordings with US officials.

“It is out of the question for Turkey to give Pompeo or any other US official any audio recording,” Cavusoglu said during a visit to Tirana, Albania. “It is out of the question for us to share with any country this or that information.”

“Of course, as a result of the investigation so far, Turkey does have some information and evidence," he said. "We will share them with the world when they become fully clear because the whole world, understandably, wants to know what happened to Khashoggi and how it happened.”

Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist who lived in the US, disappeared on Oct. 2 after visiting the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul to complete paperwork related to his divorce. 

Saudi Arabia and Turkey are carrying out a joint investigation into the disappearance.

On Thursday, Turkey called on the public to ignore any information claiming to be leaked from the case.

Since Khashoggi’s disappearance there has been a flurry of stories claiming to be based on leaks from the probe.

Pompeo said on Thursday they had given Saudi Arabia more time to complete the investigation to make sure they have a complete understanding of the facts.