2 mass graves found in Yazidi district of Iraq

In this August 11, 2014 photo, Yazidis walk toward the Syrian border on the outskirts of Sinjar mountain to escape violence from Daesh terrorists. Daesh militants killed thousands of Yazidis in Sinjar and kidnapped thousands of women and girls from the community to abuse them as sex slaves. (REUTERS/Rodi Said/File Photo)
Updated 03 December 2017

2 mass graves found in Yazidi district of Iraq

BAGHDAD: Iraqi paramilitary forces have uncovered two more mass graves containing the bodies of 140 civilians, including women and children, in an area home to the Yazidi religious minority, they said Saturday.
In 2014, Daesh killed thousands of Yazidis in Sinjar and kidnapped thousands of women and girls from the community to abuse them as sex slaves.
Al-Hashd Al-Shaabi paramilitary alliance said it had found “a mass grave with the bodies of 20 women and about 40 children in the village of Kabusi, south of Sinjar.”
Elsewhere, “in the Jazira residential complex, also south of Sinjar, 80 other bodies, mostly Yazidis, were discovered,” it said.
Kurdish fighters backed by the US-led coalition against Daesh captured Sinjar from the terrorists in November 2015 before Iraqi security forces took control of the region in October.
As government troops have advanced across Iraq they have uncovered dozens of mass graves holding hundreds of bodies in areas that fell under the militants’ brutal rule.
Iraqi officials said on Nov. 22 they had found a mass grave in Sinjar containing the bodies of dozens of members of the minority killed by Daesh.
Sinjar Mayor Mahma Khalil said that since 2015, around 40 mass graves have been discovered in the region and that “all the victims were Yazidis.”
The Yazidis are Kurdish-speaking but follow their own non-Muslim faith that earned them the hatred of the extremists of Daesh.


Saudi Arabia, UAE form joint panel to enforce Yemen cease-fire

Updated 47 min ago

Saudi Arabia, UAE form joint panel to enforce Yemen cease-fire

  • The panel will ensure all the ceasefire procedures are followed
  • Saudi Arabia and UAE will continue their support for the Arab coalition

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia and the UAE have formed a joint panel to support the cease-fire between Yemen’s government and southern separatist forces in Shabwah and Abyan, Saudi state news agency SPA reported on Monday.

The panel will ensure the implementation of the cease-fire, Arab coalition spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said.

The two states issued a joint statement by the foreign ministries, urging the sides to honor the cease-fire and return the civilian headquarters in Aden of the legitimate government.

The governments of Saudi Arabia and the UAE confirmed they will continue their support, politically, militarily and through relief support to the Arab coalition in Yemen, the statement added.

The separatist forces of the so-called Southern Transitional Council (STC) declared last month they were breaking away from the UN-recognized legitimate government of Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, based in the southern city of Aden.

Their forces seized governmental structures and military camps in Aden, Shabwa and Abyan. Last week, they partially withdrew from strategic areas in Aden under pressure from Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

STC still retain control of military sites in the province.