India Test resumes in ‘unhealthy’ smog

Sri Lanka’s captain Dinesh Chandimal calls for a run during the second day of their third test cricket match against India in New Delhi, India, Sunday, Dec. 3, 2017. (AP)
Updated 04 December 2017
0

India Test resumes in ‘unhealthy’ smog

NEW DELHI: India and Sri Lanka resumed their cricket Test in “unhealthy” air pollution — 18 times higher than the level considered safe — in New Delhi on Monday, a day after smog briefly halted play.
Sri Lankan batsmen Angelo Mathews and captain Dinesh Chandimal continued their side’s first innings at a haze-shrouded Feroz Shah Kotla stadium, with no repeat of Sunday’s protests from the visiting team.
When fielding against India, who scored 536 for seven declared, the Sri Lankan players wore facemasks and coach Nic Pothas said some had vomited on leaving the field.
Monday’s play went ahead in hazy conditions. Official indicators showed pollution at similar “unhealthy” levels to Sunday, 18 times what the World Health Organization considers safe.
Play was halted for around 20 minutes on Sunday as Sri Lankan fielders complained of health problems and the umpires consulted the match referee and team doctors.
Play resumed but Sri Lanka protested twice more, with the visitors soon short on fielders as pacemen Lahiru Gamage and Suranga Lakmal returned to the pavilion.
Media reports said India captain Virat Kohli had been angered by what were seen as delaying tactics by the Sri Lankan players.
However during a previous pollution peak last month, Kohli expressed concern at the worsening health threat.
“It’s a situation which is only getting worse by the day,” Kohli wrote in a Facebook post on November 9.
“If we don’t act there are going to be massive problems in future. The kids are going to suffer with diseases,” he added.
“So look after your family members, look after the children, whose future really depends on how we look after the current situation.”


Godolphin happy with Thunder Snow ahead of Dubai World Cup defense

Updated 25 March 2019
0

Godolphin happy with Thunder Snow ahead of Dubai World Cup defense

  • Five-year old bidding to become first horse to win back-to-back Dubai World Cups.
  • $12 million race takes place at Meydan on Saturday.

LONDON: Thunder Snow is preparing well as he bids to become the first horse to win back-to-back Dubai World Cups, according to Godolphin trainer Saeed bin Suroor.
The five-year-old memorably won the showcase $12 million race at Meydan by five and three-quarter lengths, winning in a track record time last year. He returned to the track on Super Saturday two weeks ago, finishing second in the Group 1 Al-Maktoum Challenge Round Three.
And Godolphin are expecting big things from him in the famous race. Bin Suroor, the most successful handler in the history of the 2000m dirt feature with eight winners to his name, is feeling confident.
“He did his final serious piece of work on Saturday and went very well indeed,” the Godolphin trainer said. “He needed his Super Saturday outing — his first run since November — badly and has come on a lot for it. We expect him to run a big race under conditions we know suit him, but obviously it is a good race.”
Thunder Snow has already made history as the only horse to win both the Group 2 UAE Derby and Group 1 Dubai World Cup, but if he is to win this Saturday then he will be revered for years to come.
One of his big rivals in the race will be Yoshida. Trained by Bill Mott he arrived in Dubai on March 19 in preparation for the cash-rich race. The Japanese-bred son of Heart’s Cry landed in the Emirate off a sixth-place finish in the inaugural Group 1 Pegasus World Cup Turf Invitational at Gulfstream Park.
He won the Turf Classic at Churchill Downs, as well as the prestigious Woodward at Saratoga last year and Riley Mott, assistant to his father Bob, said Yoshida is looking good ahead of the big race.
“He’s settled in really well,” he said. “He traveled great and we’re very happy with him. The facilities here are top class. This is my seventh time over here and we’re treated very well.”
Yoshida went out just after 7:00 a.m. in Monday to stretch his legs over the famous dirt track.
“He just had a routine gallop this morning and we let him stand in the gate. Nothing too serious,” Mott said.
Jose Ortiz, who has piloted Yoshida though his last two starts and was aboard for the Grade 1 score at Churchill Downs, will make his first appearance in Dubai. Mott said he expects Ortiz, who guided Yoshida to a closing fourth-place effort in the Breeders’ Cup Classic, will have plenty of options in the 2000m race.
“It sounds like there’s a lot of pace from the local horses, but we have a horse that’s pretty versatile in the way he runs,” Mott said. “He’s able to adapt to the pace scenario. It’s just a matter of how the race develops in front of him.”