Reopening of SABIC office in Iraq to benefit both sides: Experts

Petrochem giant Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) says it is reopening its office in Iraq. (Photo courtesy of SABIC website)
Updated 07 December 2017
0

Reopening of SABIC office in Iraq to benefit both sides: Experts

RIYADH: Petrochemical giant Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) announced the reopening of its office in Iraq during the 7th Basra Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition in the Iraqi city of Basra, which started on Tuesday.
SABIC participated in the event as part of a wider public and private sector delegation from Saudi Arabia, under the aegis of the Saudi Export Development Authority (SEDA). SABIC also seeks to explore opportunities available in the important Iraqi market.
Economic analyst and former Shoura Council member Usamah Kurdi told Arab News that SABIC re-opening its office in Iraq is a major development in the Saudi-Iraqi relations. “I am delighted to know that Saudi investments will be made in Iraq, which would yield lucrative benefits for the two parties,” he said.
“Taking Iraq into the fold of the Arab region will also help fortify unity of the Arab world and also protect it from the undue intervention of Iran. Iraq is part of the Arab world,” he stressed.
Saudi Energy Minister Khalid Al-Falih made the announcement following the inauguration of the oil and gas conference. He also witnessed the signing of 18 memorandums of understanding (MoU) between Saudi and Iraqi companies in the fields of energy, with his counterpart, Iraqi Oil Minister Jabbar Al-Luaibi.
Al-Falih said that SABIC is in the final stages of reopening its office in Iraq.
Musad Al-Zayani, a Dubai-based Saudi journalist who is an expert on the petrochemical industry, told Arab News that this move would boost the economy of Iraq, which needs a push. He said SABIC would be able to supply the needed raw materials to Iraq for its petrochemical industry. The SEDA seeks to promote trade between Saudi Arabia and Iraq and encourages Saudi companies to explore new opportunities to boost the Kingdom’s non-oil exports.
In a statement to Arab News, Dr. Talaat Al-Dhafer, SABIC vice president, KSA, Middle East and Africa region, who led the SABIC delegation, expressed his happiness over the company’s participation.
He said that SABIC was committed to contributing to the Kingdom’s efforts to diversify its economy.


Turkey and US strongly deny sharing 'any audio recording'

Updated 19 October 2018
0

Turkey and US strongly deny sharing 'any audio recording'

  • Secretary of State says report he had listened to a recording of Jamal Khashoggi’s death was false
  • Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu also denied sharing any audio recordings with US officials

LONDON: Turkey and the United States denied on Friday that Ankara had shared with Washington an audio recording related to the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said an ABC News report, citing an unnamed source, that he had listened to a recording of Khashoggi’s death while in Istanbul on Wednesday was false. 

Pompeo, who also visited Saudi Arabia this week, said he had neither seen nor heard such a recording.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu also denied sharing any audio recordings with US officials.

“It is out of the question for Turkey to give Pompeo or any other US official any audio recording,” Cavusoglu said during a visit to Tirana, Albania. “It is out of the question for us to share with any country this or that information.”

“Of course, as a result of the investigation so far, Turkey does have some information and evidence," he said. "We will share them with the world when they become fully clear because the whole world, understandably, wants to know what happened to Khashoggi and how it happened.”

Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist who lived in the US, disappeared on Oct. 2 after visiting the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul to complete paperwork related to his divorce. 

Saudi Arabia and Turkey are carrying out a joint investigation into the disappearance.

On Thursday, Turkey called on the public to ignore any information claiming to be leaked from the case.

Since Khashoggi’s disappearance there has been a flurry of stories claiming to be based on leaks from the probe.

Pompeo said on Thursday they had given Saudi Arabia more time to complete the investigation to make sure they have a complete understanding of the facts.