Syria mission accomplished, declares Russia

Russia’s Defense Ministry on Thursday declared its mission accomplished in Syria to oust Daesh militants. (Photo courtesy: Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation)
Updated 07 December 2017
0

Syria mission accomplished, declares Russia

MOSCOW: Russia’s Defense Ministry on Thursday said its mission to oust Daesh terrorists from Syria had been “accomplished” with the country “completely liberated” from the extremist group.
“The Russian armed forces’ goal to defeat armed groups of the Daesh terrorist organization in Syria has been accomplished,” said senior military officer Sergei Rudskoi.
“There is not a single village or district in Syria under the control of ISIL (Daesh). The territory of Syria has been completely liberated from fighters of this terrorist organization,” he told reporters.
There has been an “unprecedented” involvement by Russia’s airforce in recent days, he said, with warplanes making 100 sorties and staging up to 250 strikes daily.
At the same time, special forces were active on the ground directing planes and “destroying the most odious leaders of militant groups behind enemy lines,” he said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which monitors the conflict, said Thursday that Daesh still holds about 8 percent of Deir Ezzor province.
Rudskoi said “separate sabotage bands of” Daesh could still be operating but would be fought by Syrian government troops, indicating that Russia’s involvement would be scaled down.
With the liquidation of armed bands of Daesh in Syria, the Russian contingent will concentrate its main efforts on providing aid to the Syrian people in rebuilding peace and ensuring cease-fire commitments were met, he said.
Russia began its bombing raids in September 2015 in support of Syrian President Bashar Assad’s beleaguered forces.
Those strikes have helped Assad regain control over much of war-ravaged Syria.
Last month, President Vladimir Putin said efforts to end the war were entering a “new stage” as the focus shifts from military intervention to political reform.
More than 340,000 people have been killed since the conflict broke out in March 2011 with protests against Assad’s rule that sparked a brutal crackdown.


Iran indicates talks with US on nuclear program unlikely

Updated 19 July 2018
0

Iran indicates talks with US on nuclear program unlikely

  • Trump earlier this year pulled America out of the international deal meant to prevent Tehran from developing a nuclear weapon
  • Hassan Rouhani’s chief of staff claims the president rejected eight requests from President Donald Trump last year for one-on-one talks

TEHRAN, Iran: Iranian President Hassan Rouhani’s chief of staff claims the president rejected eight requests from President Donald Trump last year for one-on-one talks.
It’s the latest comment from Tehran suggesting Iran isn’t prepared to embark on bilateral negotiations with Washington.
Trump earlier this year pulled America out of the international deal meant to prevent Tehran from developing a nuclear weapon. He said last week that with increased American sanctions, “at a certain point they’re going to call me and say ‘let’s make a deal.’“
State-owned IRAN newspaper quoted Rouhani’s chief of staff Mahmoud Vaezi saying Thursday that “it’s been the reverse, so far,” with Trump seeking to initiate talks.
He says Iran rejected the requests from the US for the two presidents to meet at last year’s UN General Assembly meeting.