The Ashes: Bayliss stays bullish

POSITIVE PAIR: England’s Joe Root and Trevor Bayliss. (AP)
Updated 08 December 2017
0

The Ashes: Bayliss stays bullish

LONDON: Trevor Bayliss claims England left “a few scars” on Australia during the Adelaide Test, suggesting the home side’s second innings batting performance will have some players feeling “nervous.”
The fighting talk came after England slumped to a crushing 120-run defeat in the second Test of the five-match series, leaving the tourists trailing 2-0 and on the verge of losing the Ashes.
Despite succumbing again, Bayliss was upbeat about his bowlers skittling Australia for 138 in the second innings, leaving England with a chance of chasing down a record 354-run victory target.
And the England coach is determined to focus on that rather than the failure to ever really look like winning either of the two Tests so far.
“We have got a few scars there with the Australian team,” Bayliss told the BBC.
“There will be a few who have missed out and a few who will be nervous.
“They’ve got four good bowlers and we’ve shown we can compete with them for a period of time. We’ve just got to do it for longer.”
Joe Root was also positive after the game, saying England were “still massively” in the series.
This is despite England not beating Australia at Perth’s WACA Ground since 1978, where the third Test starts next week.
“We’ve shown throughout the two Tests in periods we can out-perform Australia, but just not over five days,” said Root, who scored 67 in the second innings run chase but failed to stay at the crease long enough to give his side a realistic shot at winning.
“If we can perform to our ability for longer periods of time we’ll win games. The belief in the dressing room is definitely there.”
Bayliss said the team played well in final days of the Adelaide day-night Test, but they needed to make more than 220 runs in an innings to stand a chance in Perth.
“If we do that well we can put more pressure on Australia than we did on this match,” he said.
 


‘Disrespectful, disgusting’ — Bayern bosses attack German media

Updated 19 October 2018
0

‘Disrespectful, disgusting’ — Bayern bosses attack German media

  • Criticism of Bayern’s stars, particularly Bayern captain Manuel Neuer, who has struggled for form after twice fracturing his foot in 2017, has clearly irked senior Bayern figures
  • Back-to-back league defeats against Hertha Berlin and Borussia Moenchengladbach have left Bayern sixth in the Bundesliga table

BERLIN: Bayern Munich bosses Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Uli Hoeness on Friday launched a fierce attack on the German media over “disrespectful and disgusting” reporting amid a rare four-match winless streak for the Bundesliga champions.
“FC Bayern will no longer accept this manner (of reporting),” fumed Rummenigge, who even quoted a paragraph of the German constitution which says “human dignity shall be inviolable.”
“Obviously you no longer think about dignity and decorum anymore,” he told reporters.
“There seem to be no boundaries anymore, especially for the media and even ‘experts’ who have played at this club.”
Criticism of Bayern’s stars, particularly Bayern captain Manuel Neuer, who has struggled for form after twice fracturing his foot in 2017, has clearly irked the senior Bayern figures.
Rummenigge revealed Bayern have even taken legal action against several German media outlets.
Back-to-back league defeats against Hertha Berlin and Borussia Moenchengladbach have left Bayern sixth in the Bundesliga table — four points behind leaders Borussia Dortmund before Saturday’s match at Wolfsburg.
Bayern have won the past six German league titles — often by a huge points margin — meaning criticism of the club is a rare occurrence.
Rummenigge and Hoeness certainly appear to be struggling to cope with the recent broadsides aimed at Bayern.
“We will not put up with this slanderous and degrading coverage,” said Rummenigge.
“We will protect our players, our coach and also the club from today.”
Hoeness, Bayern’s president, continued by singling out individual journalists for fierce criticism, “we will not accept disrespectful, disgusting coverage.”
Bayern’s sports director Hasan Salihamidzic, who also attended the hastily-arranged press conference, fired back at criticism that he has not supported head coach Niko Kovac enough publically.
“That was respectless, it has never come into question that there is a problem with Niko,” fumed Salihamidzic.
“It’s not on to criticize the entire work of the club, I was outraged how unashamed and disrespectful the coverage was.”