Search form

Last updated: 9 min 38 sec ago

You are here


Friends react after British singer found dead in Qatar hotel room

The mother-of-one performed under the stage name Devi Ka. (Photo courtesy:
DUBAI: Friends have reacted in shock and have organized a commemoration event after a British singer-songwriter was found dead in a Qatar hotel room.
Manchester-based performer Daniella Obeng, 32, was found dead in her hotel room at the Intercontinental Hotel in Doha on Sept. 25, six days after she landed in the country, the Manchester Evening News reported on Saturday.
The mother-of-one performed under the stage name Devi Ka and had reportedly been contracted to sing at the hotel for a period of six months.
Her boyfriend, Stefan Paunefcu, told the Manchester Evening News that “she was very talented, and very hard working. Her ambition was to send a positive message to the world through her music.”
According to the newspaper, Obeng had been living with a brain tumor and suffered from epilepsy, but was forced to find work after being declared fit to work by British authorities.
Paunefcu told the newspaper that “when she left to go to Qatar her health was probably the best it had been for years, and she had not had a seizure for six months.
“She had to go because she could not find any reliable work in England.”
In a posting on a Crowdfunding page dedicated to hosting an event in her honor in Salford, Greater Manchester, on Saturday night, friends said: “Daniella was very dear to us and holds a big place in all of our hearts, she was and is an inspiration to many due to her courage, strength and determination in the face of adversity whilst battling a brain tumour combined with epilepsy.
“Daniella was following her dream to produce an album with original songs written by her in order to bring healing and love to others in the world.
“Holding this event we aim to raise awareness, celebrate her life and promote her music. We feel aggrieved that she had to make the choice to leave the UK in order to earn some funds for the future for herself and her young son."
An inquest into Obeng’s death is set to be held at Stockport Coroner’s Court, in Greater Manchester, in January.