Pakistan bans Jamshed for 12 months in fixing case

Pakistan’s Nasir Jamshed plays South Africa’s Lonwabo Tsotsobe’s delivery during their first Twenty20 cricket match in Johannesburg, Nov. 20, 2013. (REUTERS)
Updated 11 December 2017
0

Pakistan bans Jamshed for 12 months in fixing case

LAHORE: Pakistan Monday handed former opener Nasir Jamshed a one-year ban for failing to cooperate with investigators in a spot-fixing case that rocked the Pakistan Super League earlier this year.
Jamshed was allegedly the middle man between players and an alleged bookie. He has denied all charges.
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) legal adviser Taffazul Rizvi announced the verdict, saying the investigation into fixing charges was still under way.
“The three-member tribunal banned Jamshed for one year for non-cooperation with the investigation,” Rizvi told media.
“PCB has not levelled any fixing charges on Jamshed as yet as there is another investigation under way against him in (the) UK.”
Britain’s National Crime Agency arrested Jamshed and one unnamed person five days after the spot-fixing allegations surfaced during the second edition of the PSL in February.
Former Pakistan opener Sharjeel Khan was banned for five years — with half of that sentence suspended — while his fellow teammate Khalid Latif was also banned for five years and fined one million rupees ($9,460) in the same case.
Khan was charged for playing two dot balls during the PSL match between Islamabad United and Peshawar Zalmi as part of a spot-deal struck by Latif.
Spot-fixing is the practice of pre-determining the outcome of a specific part of a match in return for money.
Jamshed has played two Tests, 48 one-day internationals and 18 Twenty20 for Pakistan.
He was last included in Pakistan’s World Cup 2015 squad as a replacement but was booed off by the crowd for being overweight and in poor form.
Another former opener Shahzaib Hasan is also under investigation in the case.
Paceman Mohammad Irfan (banned for one year) and spinner Mohammad Nawaz (banned for two months) have completed their sentences on not reporting fixing offers to the PCB.


Virat Kohli savors first India win over Australia Down Under for a decade

Updated 10 December 2018
0

Virat Kohli savors first India win over Australia Down Under for a decade

  • India's last triumph on Australian soil at the WACA in Perth in 2008
  • Kohli confident win sets tourists up for a series win.

ADELAIDE: Virat Kohli said it was “very special” to captain India to their first Test win in Australia for a decade and gave his side crucial momentum in their bid for a maiden series victory.
The visitors won a tightly-contested opening Test in Adelaide by 31 runs on the fifth day after setting Australia a target of 323, which would have been a record run chase at the ground.
It was a big breakthrough for Kohli’s men, with their last triumph on Australian soil at the WACA Ground in Perth in 2008. In Adelaide, their sole previous win was in 2003.
“Obviously it’s a great feeling. We’ve never taken a lead in a series in Australia, something that for us is a huge boost,” he said.
“And it’s given us the right momentum that we needed to play a big series like this and it’s something that we’ve had to work hard for.
“Any Test victory is special because you work hard over five days, and then the physical and the mental toil and the emotion of it all comes together in a result is a very special feeling.”
Kohli, who has long led India’s batting charge with admirable consistency across all three formats but failed to fire in Adelaide, said he believed his team collectively were better than Australia and deserved to win.
The victory was built on Cheteshwar Pujara’s first innings 123 and his second innings 71, while wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant took a world record-equalling 11 catches.
“It was priceless from Pujara, we were down and out at lunch on day one. His grit and determination brought us back in it,” said Kohli.
“We always knew that runs on the board would make the home side tentative. Any lead was gold and we got 15. In the second innings again, he and Rahane batted well.”
Asked if thought 323 would be enough to win, Kohli said his middle and lower order could have done better after a five for 25 collapse at the end of the second innings.
“We could have added another 30-35 runs more which could have taken the game totally beyond Australia,” he said.
“So these are things that we have to think about going to Perth, but if someone had told me before the series that I would be 1-0 up as soon we started the series, I would have taken it with both hands.”
The second Test starts on Friday in Perth, with Melbourne and Sydney to follow.