Egyptian singer jailed over video inciting debauchery

Shyma Ahmed. (Courtesy photo)
Updated 13 December 2017
0

Egyptian singer jailed over video inciting debauchery

CAIRO, Egypt: A court in Cairo on Tuesday sentenced an Egyptian pop singer to two years in prison for “inciting debauchery” over a racy music video clip, a judicial source said.
Shyma, a little-known 21-year-old singer, was also fined 10,000 pounds ($560).
The director of the clip, Mohamed Gamal, received the same sentence. Both can appeal the ruling.
Shyma was arrested on November 18, police said, following complaints about the video for her song “I Have Issues.”
In the video, she appears in a mock classroom licking an apple and appearing to mimic fellatio on a banana in front of a chalkboard scrawled with “Class #69.”
“Singer Shyma presents a lesson in depravity to youths,” said the Youm 7 newspaper in an article after the video was released.
In a Facebook post at the time, Shyma apologized for the video and said she had not anticipated the backlash.
“I didn’t imagine all this would happen and that I would be subjected to such a strong attack from everyone, as a young singer... who has dreamt from a young age of being a singer,” she wrote.
The authorities have cracked down on some artists in Egypt using wide-ranging morality laws.
In 2015, a court jailed a female dancer to a year in prison for “inciting debauchery” in a raunchy music video for a song called “Let Go of My Hand.”


Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

Updated 23 September 2018
0

Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

  • Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting.

BENGHAZI: The latest bout of fighting between rival militias in the capital Tripoli has left 10 people dead.

The medical authorities said 59 people were also wounded when fighting erupted the previous day, taking the death toll to 106 since armed conflict first began there late last month. Friday’s fighting further strained a cease-fire that has been in force since Sept. 4. They said a total of 18 people remain missing.

Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting. The Government of National Accord (GNA) called on the UN mission to “present the Security Council with the reality of the bloody events in Libya so that it can ... protect the lives and property of civilians”.

Libya slid into chaos after the 2011 uprising that overthrew longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi and led to his death. It’s governed by rival authorities, based in Tripoli and the country’s east, each backed by an array of militias.