Saudi Communications commission obliges mobile network providers to block spam SMSs

A woman uses her mobile phone. (AFP)
Updated 13 December 2017
0

Saudi Communications commission obliges mobile network providers to block spam SMSs

RIYADH: The Communications and Information Technology Commission (CITC) this week urged mobile service providers to inform users of the quick solutions that can reduce spam text messages, SPA reported.

This is possible by allowing users to exit all the lists to which they have previously subscribed by sending a text message to one of the numbers dedicated for blocking spam, according to the CITC.

The CITC included several key bodies on white lists, from which users cannot unsubscribe like government bodies, major hospitals, universities, and schools.

In addition, the CITC urged mobile operators to undertake technical solutions within the next three months to allow users to automatically and fully control the kind and source of received text messages, which will protect them and reduce spam.

Spam text messaging, whether SMS (texts) or MMS (texts with photo or audio), is a multifaceted problem, and therefore, the CITC adopted a multifaceted approach that combines the application of regulations, international cooperation, the use of technology, raising mobile users’ awareness, and developing regulations for reducing spam.

For more on this topic, the CITC’s official website contains information on spam control regulations.


Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

Updated 20 April 2018
0

Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

  • Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis
  • The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia

Saudi air defense forces managed to intercept a ballistic missile fired by Houthi militias from Yemen headed in the direction of Saudi Arabia’s border province of Jazan on Friday.

Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis.

Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the coalition's spokesman, said the missile was monitored by the Saudi Air Force to have been launched from Yemen's Amran province at 10:16 p.m. Monday toward populated areas in the southern Saudi province of Najran.

The missile was intercepted before it could hit its target, Al-Maliki said.

The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia using what it said were Iran-supplied drones.

So far, the Houthis have launched over 100 missiles at Saudi cities and installations.