Novak Djokovic using warm-up tournaments to test Australian Open fitness

Novak Djokovic will take part in two exhibition tournaments next week before deciding if he can play at the Australian Open. (AP)
Updated 03 January 2018
0

Novak Djokovic using warm-up tournaments to test Australian Open fitness

MELBOURNE: Novak Djokovic has said he plans to take part in two exhibition tournaments next week before deciding on his participation at the Australian Open.
The 30-year-old former world number one has been out for the last six months with an elbow injury, and the problem forced him to withdraw from recent events in Abu Dhabi and Qatar.
He is due to play at the Kooyong Classic and the Tie Break Tens evening exhibition at Melbourne Park in the week leading up to the Australian Open. The 12-time Grand Slam winner, whose last Grand Slam title was at the 2016 French Open, has won the Australian Open six times.
Djokovic has not played since retiring against Czech Tomas Berdych in the Wimbledon quarterfinals in July.
He pulled out of last week’s Mubadala WTC exhibition in Abu Dhabi only hours before his match with Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut when the pain in his right elbow flared up and also withdrew from the Qatar Open in Doha.
The Australian Open begins in Melbourne on 15 January.


‘Disrespectful, disgusting’ — Bayern bosses attack German media

Updated 19 October 2018
0

‘Disrespectful, disgusting’ — Bayern bosses attack German media

  • Criticism of Bayern’s stars, particularly Bayern captain Manuel Neuer, who has struggled for form after twice fracturing his foot in 2017, has clearly irked senior Bayern figures
  • Back-to-back league defeats against Hertha Berlin and Borussia Moenchengladbach have left Bayern sixth in the Bundesliga table

BERLIN: Bayern Munich bosses Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Uli Hoeness on Friday launched a fierce attack on the German media over “disrespectful and disgusting” reporting amid a rare four-match winless streak for the Bundesliga champions.
“FC Bayern will no longer accept this manner (of reporting),” fumed Rummenigge, who even quoted a paragraph of the German constitution which says “human dignity shall be inviolable.”
“Obviously you no longer think about dignity and decorum anymore,” he told reporters.
“There seem to be no boundaries anymore, especially for the media and even ‘experts’ who have played at this club.”
Criticism of Bayern’s stars, particularly Bayern captain Manuel Neuer, who has struggled for form after twice fracturing his foot in 2017, has clearly irked the senior Bayern figures.
Rummenigge revealed Bayern have even taken legal action against several German media outlets.
Back-to-back league defeats against Hertha Berlin and Borussia Moenchengladbach have left Bayern sixth in the Bundesliga table — four points behind leaders Borussia Dortmund before Saturday’s match at Wolfsburg.
Bayern have won the past six German league titles — often by a huge points margin — meaning criticism of the club is a rare occurrence.
Rummenigge and Hoeness certainly appear to be struggling to cope with the recent broadsides aimed at Bayern.
“We will not put up with this slanderous and degrading coverage,” said Rummenigge.
“We will protect our players, our coach and also the club from today.”
Hoeness, Bayern’s president, continued by singling out individual journalists for fierce criticism, “we will not accept disrespectful, disgusting coverage.”
Bayern’s sports director Hasan Salihamidzic, who also attended the hastily-arranged press conference, fired back at criticism that he has not supported head coach Niko Kovac enough publically.
“That was respectless, it has never come into question that there is a problem with Niko,” fumed Salihamidzic.
“It’s not on to criticize the entire work of the club, I was outraged how unashamed and disrespectful the coverage was.”