Under pressure Antonio Conte refuses to commit to Chelsea

Updated 12 January 2018
0

Under pressure Antonio Conte refuses to commit to Chelsea

LONDON: Antonio Conte has refused to give any guarantees over his future at Chelsea, adding that “everything is possible” as speculation over his position at the club persists.
The Italian won the Premier League last season in his first year as head coach at the Blues, who play former title winners Leicester on Saturday.
Conte signed an improved contract last summer but it was not an extension to his deal, which still expires in June 2019 and there has been continued speculation over his position at Stamford Bridge.
The former Juventus and Italy boss, whose side are third in the table, said that goes with the territory of working at Chelsea and does not happen at other clubs.
“I have another year of (my) contract with this club,” he said. “But as you know very well everything is possible. In one moment you stay here, in another moment another person replaces you in your job.”
Asked if he would extend his contract with Chelsea, Conte added: “In this case, I think the club has to decide to send me away.”
Conte’s position has been the subject of speculation over a rumored frustration regarding transfers.
“For the manager of this club it’s normal to have this type of situation, also if you won last season the league and you reached the final in the FA Cup,” he said. “This is the history of this club for the manager.
“I have a lot of experience to deal with this type of situation. (But) there is something strange if, after the first game we lost against Burnley, the press pushed quickly to sack me for another coach. I think in other clubs this doesn’t happen.”
Conte insisted he is happy at Chelsea, will continue to work as a professional and will “never give up.”


Mohamed Salah named Premier League’s best player of the year at PFA awards

Updated 23 April 2018
0

Mohamed Salah named Premier League’s best player of the year at PFA awards

  • Egyptian superstar currently has 30 Premier League goals this season
  • Salah beat the likes of De Bruyne and Kane to the award

LONDON: Mohamed Salah was crowned the Premier League’s Players’ Player of the Year on Sunday, with his incredible 41-goal debut season at Liverpool beating out strong competition from Manchester City’s Kevin de Bruyne.
“It’s a big honor. I’ve worked hard and I’m very happy to win it,” Salah said at the ceremony on Sunday evening.
Salah matched a Premier League record tally for a single season by scoring his 31st league goal of the campaign in a 2-2 draw at West Brom on Saturday.
“You’re comparing your name with some great names,” he said, on the prospect of breaking the record. “To break the Premier League record is something huge in England and all over in the world.
“There are still three games to go. I want to break this record.”
Salah has also netted seven times in eight Champions League games, including in both legs of Liverpool’s 5-1 quarter-final thrashing of City, to carry his side to a first semifinal for a decade.
De Bruyne showed why he had been many people’s early-season favorite for the prize with an incredible long-range strike for his 12th goal of the season to go with a league-high number of assists as champions City thrashed Swansea 5-0 on Sunday.
“From my point of view when you are analizing 10 months, there is no player better than him,” said City manager Pep Guardiola of the Belgian midfielder.
“Maybe there are numbers better but for me he was the best. But it is my opinion, the opinions of the players could be different. But in the end, in summer time he will be at home being champion.”
City did pick up a prize from the PFA gala in central London on Sunday, though, as Leroy Sane won the Young Player of the Year.
Sane, another City team-mate David Silva, De Bruyne, Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea and Tottenham striker Harry Kane were the other five nominees for the main prize.