London store Harrods to remove Diana statue

London luxury department store Harrods said it was taking down a statue of the late Princess Diana and her boyfriend Dodi Fayed and returning it to former owner Mohamed Al-Fayed. Al-Fayed commissioned the bronze statue after they were killed in a Paris car crash in 1997.(AFP)
Updated 13 January 2018
0

London store Harrods to remove Diana statue

LONDON: London luxury department store Harrods said Saturday it was taking down a statue of the late Princess Diana and her boyfriend Dodi Al-Fayed and returning it to former owner Mohamed Al-Fayed.
Al-Fayed commissioned the bronze statue, which shows his son and Diana holding hands and releasing a bird, after they were killed in a Paris car crash in 1997.
It remained there after he sold Harrods to the investment arm of Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund in 2010.
But the store’s managing director, Michael Ward, said it was now time to return it, noting that Diana’s sons Princes William and Harry were commissioning their own statue to their mother at Kensington Palace.
“We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales, and Dodi Al-Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” he said.
“With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al-Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.”
Al-Fayed has accused the royals of masterminding the death of Diana and his son, and as a result Harrods lost its royal warrant in 2000.
A spokesman for the Al-Fayed family told The Times newspaper it was “grateful” to Qatar Holdings for preserving the memorial of the couple, adding: “It is now time to bring them home.”


Two monks shot dead as violence flares in Thailand’s deep south

Updated 9 min 41 sec ago
0

Two monks shot dead as violence flares in Thailand’s deep south

  • Black-clad assailants carrying rifles crept into Rattanaupap temple in Narathiwat province on Friday evening and started firing
  • Human Rights Watch said the ‘ghastly’ assault on civilians in a place of worship amounted to a war crime

BANGKOK: Gunmen in Thailand’s deep south shot dead two Buddhist monks and wounded two others inside a temple, police said Saturday, capping a week of deadly violence as the prime minister vowed to “punish” those responsible.
Black-clad assailants carrying rifles crept into Rattanaupap temple in Narathiwat province near Malaysia’s border on Friday evening and started firing, local superintendant Pakdi Preechachon said.
“The attack took place around 7:30 p.m. (1230 GMT) when an unknown number of gunmen dressed in black entered the temple through a rear area via a creek,” Pakdi said.
“Two monks were shot dead at the temple while two others were wounded.”
Since 2004 clashes between ethnic Malay-Muslim rebels and the Buddhist-majority Thai state that annexed the region a century ago have killed nearly 7,000 people, mostly civilians of both faiths.
The death toll in the south dropped to a record low last year as Thailand’s junta tightened its security web but violence has boiled over in recent days, raising concerns about soft targets at schools and religious institutions.
In the past, Buddhist monks have rarely been targeted.
But they have been told to suspend morning alms collection starting from Saturday in three southern provinces and the southern army commander has instructed security officials to step up safeguards of Islamic leaders who could also be at risk.
Junta leader and prime minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha condemned the temple shootings.
“The prime Minister denounced such a brazen attack and instructed officials to investigate and find the assailants to punish them,” said government spokesman Buddhipongse Punnakanta.
Human Rights Watch said the “ghastly” assault on civilians in a place of worship amounted to a war crime.
Last week, an imam in the same province was shot dead but it was unclear if the temple attack was related.
Friday’s shooting came the same day as four security officials were wounded by two separate roadside bombs and an insurgent was shot dead in a clash near a school that sent students home for the day.
Four civil defense volunteers were also killed in a drive-by shooting outside a school on January 10 in the south’s Pattani province, with security forces injuring a boy as they gunned down rebels believed to be responsible.
In a rare public statement dated January 4 the main Malay-Muslim rebel group — the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) — which has command and control over most of the insurgent foot soldiers, swore to “keep fighting.”
“Siam (Thailand) can’t hold out,” the BRN wrote, signing off with a warning: “Do not help and support Siam.”