Although a popular delicacy, any slip up in the preparation of the fugu – or blowfish fish can be potentially deadly for consumers, as its liver, ovaries and skin contain the deadly chemical tetrodotoxin.
Japan’s restaurant chefs need special training and a license before they are allowed to prepare the fish.
“We are calling for residents to avoid eating fugu, using Gamagori city’s emergency wireless system,” which broadcasts over loudspeakers located around the city, a local official Koji Takayanagi said.
While there are several cases of fugu poisoning in the country each year, few are lethal.
“Eating a blowfish liver can paralyze motor nerves, and in a serious case cause respiratory arrest leading to death,” regional officials said in a warning statement.