Search form

Last updated: 1 min 46 sec ago

You are here

Offbeat

The last supper? Japanese supermarket sells fish with highly poisonous innards

A regional health ministry office said Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018, a supermarket in Gamagori City, Aichi Prefecture, sold five packages of assorted fugu meat containing liver, which is toxic and banned. (AP)
GAMAGORI, Japan: A Japanese city sent out an alert on Tuesday after a supermarket accidentally sold five packets of fugu fish without removing its poisonous liver, the BBC reported.
Although a popular delicacy, any slip up in the preparation of the fugu – or blowfish fish can be potentially deadly for consumers, as its liver, ovaries and skin contain the deadly chemical tetrodotoxin.
Japan’s restaurant chefs need special training and a license before they are allowed to prepare the fish.
“We are calling for residents to avoid eating fugu, using Gamagori city’s emergency wireless system,” which broadcasts over loudspeakers located around the city, a local official Koji Takayanagi said.
While there are several cases of fugu poisoning in the country each year, few are lethal.
“Eating a blowfish liver can paralyze motor nerves, and in a serious case cause respiratory arrest leading to death,” regional officials said in a warning statement.
(With AFP)

MORE FROM Offbeat