Daesh claims responsibility for twin suicide bombing in Baghdad

People light candles at the site of Monday’s twin suicide bombings in Baghdad, Iraq.(AP)
Updated 18 January 2018
0

Daesh claims responsibility for twin suicide bombing in Baghdad

BAGHDAD: Daesh has claimed responsibility for back-to-back suicide bombings in central Baghdad that killed at least 38 people.
In an online statement issued on Wednesday, Daesh says the bombers targeted a gathering of Shiites in the Iraqi capital’s Tayaran Square on Monday morning. The attack struck as laborers and street vendors filled the square during the morning rush hour. More than 100 people were wounded.
In statement on Thursday, Daesh also claimed responsibility for Saturday’s attack when, according to Iraqi officials, a suicide bomber hit a police checkpoint in northern Baghdad, killing 10 people and wounding 10.
Militant attacks have decreased significantly in Baghdad and elsewhere in Iraq since security forces retook nearly all territory once held by Daesh. Officials have warned Daesh would continue with insurgent-style attacks.


US warns Syria of ‘firm’ action over southern offensive

Updated 41 min 2 sec ago
0

US warns Syria of ‘firm’ action over southern offensive

  • The US has warned Damascus it will take “firm” action if the regime of Bashar Assad violates a cease-fire deal
  • Syrian regime and allied forces on Monday retook the Yarmuk area in southern Damascus, giving President Bashar Assad full control of the capital and its surroundings for the first time since 2012

WASHINGTON: The US has warned Damascus it will take “firm” action if the regime of Bashar Assad violates a cease-fire deal, after Syrian aircraft dropped leaflets on a southern province ahead of an expected offensive.
Residents of Daraa told AFP Friday that several different leaflets were scattered across the province, which has borders with Israel and Jordan and is expected to be among the next targets in the resurgent regime’s reconquest.
One of them, seen by a journalist contributing to AFP in the city of Daraa, includes a picture showing lined up bodies, presumably of anti-government fighters.
“This is the inevitable fate of anyone who insists on carrying arms,” reads the leaflet.
The US State Department issued a statement late Friday saying it was “concerned” by the reports and that the area in question was within the boundaries of a de-escalation zone it had negotiated with Russia and Jordan last year.
“We also caution the Syrian regime against any actions that risk broadening the conflict or jeopardize the cease-fire,” said spokeswoman Heather Nauert, adding that the cease-fire had been re-affirmed by President Donald Trump and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin at a meeting in Vietnam in November.
“As a guarantor of this de-escalation area with Russia and Jordan, the United States will take firm and appropriate measures in response to Assad regime violations,” she added.
Syrian regime and allied forces on Monday retook the Yarmuk area in southern Damascus, giving President Bashar Assad full control of the capital and its surroundings for the first time since 2012.
Daraa’s location makes any broad operation there very sensitive, with Israel suspecting Damascus’ Iranian allies of seeking to establish a military footprint closer to its borders.
Government and allied forces control about 30 percent of Daraa, the rest of which is held by various factions, including a small contingent of fighters from Daesh.