UAE Armed Forces destroy Houthi command center in Yemen

1 / 3
UAE Armed Forces have destroyed a Houthi command and communication center in Yemen. (WAM)
2 / 3
UAE Armed Forces have destroyed a Houthi command and communication center in Hais, Yemen. (WAM)
3 / 3
UAE Armed Forces have destroyed a Houthi command and communication center in Yemen. (WAM)
Updated 18 January 2018
0

UAE Armed Forces destroy Houthi command center in Yemen

HAIS, Yemen: UAE jets have destroyed a Houthi rebel command and communication center in western Yemen.
The aircraft struck the “strategically located” base that was used to store weapons and ammunitions in Hais district of Taiz province, the UAE state new agency WAM reported.
Hais is about 15 miles from the Red Sea coast and 45 miles north of Mocha, which has seen some of the fiercest fighting between the Iran-backed rebels and Yemeni government forces.
The UAE is part of the Saudi-led coalition supporting the internationally recognized government against the rebels, who seized the capital Sanaa in 2014.
The destruction of the Houthi center will “severely impact communication among the Houthi militia fighters who are stationed in different parts of the district”, the WAM report said.
The bombing raids provided fire support to the advancing Yemeni government forces in Hais.
Images from the UAE military show the explosions at the targets. It was not clear on which date the airstrikes took place.
The UAE aircraft also conducted a “precise airstrike” against a Houthi vehicle, which was loaded with ammunition and weapons.


Iraq offers to mediate in crisis between US and Iran

Updated 23 min 55 sec ago
0

Iraq offers to mediate in crisis between US and Iran

  • ‘We are trying to help and to be mediators’
  • The crisis takes root in President Donald Trump’s withdrawal last year of the US from the 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers

BAGHDAD: Iraq offered to mediate in the crisis between its two key allies, the United States and Iran, amid escalating Middle East tensions and as Tehran’s nuclear deal with world powers steadily unravels.
Iraqi foreign minister, Mohammed Al-Hakim, made the offer Sunday during a joint news conference in Baghdad with visiting Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif.
“We are trying to help and to be mediators,” said Al-Hakim, adding that Baghdad “will work to reach a satisfactory solution” while stressing that Iraq stands against unilateral steps taken by Washington.
In recent weeks, tensions between Washington and Tehran soared over America deploying an aircraft carrier and B-52 bombers to the Arabian Gulf over a still-unexplained threat it perceives from Tehran.
The crisis takes root in President Donald Trump’s withdrawal last year of the US from the 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers that capped Iran’s uranium enrichment activities in return to lifting sanctions. Washington subsequently re-imposed sanctions on Iran, sending its economy into freefall.
Trump has argued that the deal failed to sufficiently curb Iran’s ability to develop nuclear weapons or halt its support for militias throughout the Middle East that the US says destabilize the region, as well as address the issue of Tehran’s missiles, which can reach both US regional bases and Israel.
Zarif, who was been on a whirlwind diplomatic offensive to preserve the rest of the accord, insisted that Iran “did not violate the nuclear deal” and urged European nations to exert efforts to preserve the deal following the US pullout.
Speaking about the rising tensions with the US, Zarif said Iran will be able to “face the war, whether it is economic or military through steadfastness and its forces.” He also urged for a non-aggression agreement between Iran and Arab countries in the Gulf.
The mediation offer by Al-Hakim, Iraq’s foreign minister, echoed one made Saturday by Mohamad Al-Halbousi, the Iraqi parliament speaker. Al-Hakim also expressed concern for Iran’s spiraling economy.
“The sanctions against sisterly Iran are ineffective and we stand by its side,” Al-Hakim said.