Australian Open: Day four review

Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro celebrates after victory against Russia's Karen Khachanov in their men's singles second round match on day four of the Australian Open. (AFP)
Updated 18 January 2018
0

Australian Open: Day four review

LONDON: Arab News takes a look at how all the other big names did on day four in Melbourne — who lived to fight another day and who has already been forced to pack their bags?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO (12) STAYING: The Argentine booked a third round clash against 19th seed Tomas Berdych thanks to a 6-4, 7-6, 6-7, 6-4 Karen Khachanov. Made to fight over four sets this match should prove to be good practice for what promises to be an attritional match next up.

MADISON KEYS (17) STAYING: The American ace made light work of her second round encounter against Ekaterina Alexandrova. Last year’s US Open finalist won the first 11 games on her way to an easy 6-0, 6-1 win that took only 41 minutes. She won every point on her serve in the first set, holding at love in three games.

DOMINIC THIEM (5) STAYING: The 24-year-old Austrian recovered from two sets down to beat American Denis Kudla and reach the last 32. Thiem lost a tie-break in the opener but fought back to win 6-7 (6-8) 3-6 6-2 6-2 6-3.

ANGELIQUE KERBER (21) STAYING: The German celebrated her 30th birthday with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Donna Vekic to advance to the third round clash against Maria Sharapova. On this evidence she will take some beating, it was Kerber’s 11th win in a row to start the season.

STANILAS WAWRINKA (9) PACKING HIS BAGS: The 2014 came into the tournament struggling with a knee injury and it was always going to be a tall order for him to make much of an impression in Melbourne. That proved to be the case as the Swiss struggled during a 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 defeat to American Tennys Sandgren. “I really came without thinking I will be able to play the first match. That’s a big step for me,” he said after the match.

DAVID GOFFIN (7) PACKING HIS BAGS: The Belgian was a dark horse to win the title, but his dreams were dashed by a 1-6, 7-6, 6-1, 7-6 defeat to wild-card entry Julien Benneteau. It was only the second time in the now 59th-ranked Benneteau’s career that he’s managed to beat a player in the top 10 in a Grand Slam singles match.

GARBINE MUGURUZA (3) PACKING HER BAGS: The Wimbledon champion is out after being beaten 7-6, 6-4 by Hsieh Su-wei of Taiwan. Muguruza never looked comfortable in the match, double-faulting on break point in the second set and had as many as 43 unforced errors.

JOHANNA KONTA (9) PACKING HER BAGS: The Briton’s Melbourne mission ended in just the second round. The former semifinalist beaten by American lucky loser Bernarda Pera 6-4, 7-5. Konta arrived in Australia suffering from a hip problem.


Turkish star Turan could face more than 12 years jail for brawl

Updated 6 min 3 sec ago
0

Turkish star Turan could face more than 12 years jail for brawl

  • The incident, which took place outside an Istanbul nightclub and reportedly left singer Berkay Sahin with a broken nose, has transfixed Turkey
  • Turan said after the fight he went to the hospital where Berkay was being treated, clutching a gun and asking to be shot if the singer believed it was true he harassed his wife

ISTANBUL: Turkish prosecutors on Monday charged Barcelona player Arda Turan over a brawl with a prominent singer, asking for the footballer to be sentenced to twelve-and-a-half years in jail.
The prosecutors charged Turan, who is currently on loan to Istanbul club Basaksehir, with sexual harassment, unlicensed possession of weapons and causing intentional injury over the fight with singer Berkay Sahin, the state-run Anadolu news agency said.
Sahin, who performs under his first name Berkay, was also charged, with prosecutors demanding up to two years in jail.
Turan, 31, had last week been summoned to an Istanbul police station to give a statement about the incident but was allowed to walk free.
The incident, which took place outside an Istanbul nightclub and reportedly left Sahin with a broken nose, has transfixed Turkey over the last days.
Turkish media reports said that the dispute concerned Berkay’s wife, Ozlem Ada Sahin. Turan’s wife Aslihan Dogan was not present.
According to his statement to police, Turan said after the fight he went to the hospital where Berkay was being held, clutching a gun and asking to be shot if the singer believed it was true he harassed his wife.
He claimed to Berkay that he did not know that Ozlem was his wife.
Turan said the gun then went off when he took it back, according to the statement cited in Turkish media.
Video then emerged in Turkish media of the incident which shows a gun being flung onto the sofa at the hospital.
Former Turkish international Burak Yilmaz, who currently plays for Trabzonspor, was with Turan at the nightclub and is listed as a witness.
In a statement on his widely-followed Instagram account, Turan described some media reports about the incident as a “lie” and also an affront to his wife, who is eight-and-a-half months pregnant.
Turan admitted he had reacted “disproportionately” and said “the only thing I care about is my wife Aslihan,” admitting regretting leaving her at home to go to a nightclub just before she was due to give birth.
The attacking midfielder, who won 100 caps for the national side, has for years been Turkey’s best known footballer and is a strong supporter of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
He backed Erdogan strongly after the failed July 2016 coup, appearing at rallies outside his home, and the Turkish president even came as a witness to Turan’s marriage.
Turan is notorious for poor behavior both on and off the field.
He was banned for a record 16 games by the Turkish football authorities in May after he shoved and verbally abused a referee in a game for Basaksehir.
In June 2017, Turan was thrown out of a training camp by former coach Fatih Terim following a fracas with a reporter on a plane.
Ironically, weeks later Terim himself resigned after himself becoming involved in a fight at a kebab restaurant.
Turan joined Basaksehir last season on loan from Barcelona, where he had largely endured an unhappy spell on the bench after joining from Atletico Madrid.
Pundits say he has been on the decline ever since leaving Atletico.