Yemen government bans protests in Aden ahead of separatist deadline

Yemen’s internationally-recognized government said on Saturday it had banned public gatherings in Aden ahead of a deadline given by southern separatists to President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to dismiss the cabinet.(Reuters)
Updated 27 January 2018
0

Yemen government bans protests in Aden ahead of separatist deadline

ADEN: Yemen’s internationally-recognized government said on Saturday it had banned public gatherings in Aden ahead of a deadline given by southern separatists to President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to dismiss the cabinet.
The Southern Transitional Council, comprising senior political figures, announced last Sunday it planned to oust the government of Ahmed bin Daghr over allegations of corruption and mismanagement if Hadi did not dismiss it within a week.
In a statement carried by the state-run Saba news agency, the Yemeni Interior Ministry said it had “decided to ban any gatherings, sit-ins or marches in the interim capital, Aden.
“These actions will be considered acts that target stability and calm,” the statement said, adding that all armed groups will also be banned from entering Aden.
Residents said they had not seen any extra security in Aden, where armed forces loyal to Hadi’s government, the Southern Transitional Council and the Saudi-led coalition are all present.
But witnesses said government forces were deployed on roads leading to the presidential palace in the Maasheeq area, where the government is based.
Witnesses also said that thousands of people had arrived in Aden from across the former South Yemen, which merged with North Yemen in 1990, to participate in a gathering expected to be held on Sunday.
The Southern Transitional Council was formed last year to push for a split between the former South Yemen and North Yemen.
Southern forces have previously clashed with Hadi supporters, including members of the Islamist Islah party, over control of strategic areas, such as Aden airport and oil facilities.


Egypt unfreezes assets of Mubarak-era interior minister

Updated 27 min 21 sec ago
0

Egypt unfreezes assets of Mubarak-era interior minister

  • The ex-interior minister was accused of systemic torture and repression of dissent
  • He was sentenced for seven years of prison in 2017

CAIRO: Egypt has unfrozen the assets of its Mubarak-era interior minister, who was acquitted on all corruption-related charges earlier this month, a judicial source confirmed Sunday.

The Illicit Gains Authority decided last Thursday to lift freezes on Habib Al-Adly’s assets and those of aides who were key players in the graft that dominated Egypt under long-time autocrat Hosni Mubarak.

“He is free to walk, with no cases or charges against him at the moment,” the judicial source told AFP.

Adly’s behemoth security apparatus was accused of systematic torture and repression of dissent, helping fuel the 2011 uprising that toppled Mubarak.

In May, a court fined the former minister about $29 on charges of abusing public funds.

Adly was sentenced in April 2017 to seven years in prison along with 10 other former officials, for embezzling about $122 million.

But his case was thrown out, with the court citing procedural errors, and a retrial was ordered last year.

In 2014, Adly was acquitted of charges of responsibility for the deaths of protesters during the 2011 uprising.