Eight dead in cave-in at south China subway construction site

An image taken from video footage run by China’s CCTV shows a section of a collapsed road in Foshan in southern China’s Guangdong Province. (CCTV via AP Video)
Updated 08 February 2018
0

Eight dead in cave-in at south China subway construction site

BEIJING: A cave-in at a subway line construction site in southern China killed eight people and left three others missing, authorities said Thursday.
The municipal government in Foshan said the collapse occurred at 8:40 p.m. Wednesday and that nine workers were rescued and were in stable condition.
Foshan is in the industrial heartland of Guangdong province, close to the financial hub of Hong Kong.
The site of the collapse was in a central area of the city beneath an eight-lane road. An area the size of two basketball courts sunk to a depth of 6 meters (20 feet), according to state broadcaster CCTV.
Water had been entering the site from leaks in pipes, which workers attempted to plug but ultimately caused a burst that led to the collapse, CCTV said.
The line under construction runs for 23 kilometers (14 miles) through the city north of the provincial capital of Guangzhou, also known as Canton.
The rapid expansion of subway networks in Chinese cities has frequently led to cave-ins and other deadly accidents. While China has made considerable progress in improving industrial safety, scores are still killed annually in factories, coal mines and transportation networks.
Most recently, gas leaking from a pipeline at a steel mill in Guangdong killed eight people and injured 10 on Monday.
In the deadliest recent incident, an explosion in 2015 traced to improperly stored chemicals killed at least 173 people in the port city of Tianjin, about an hour east of Beijing.


Taliban say no peace with ‘occupation,’ want US talks

Updated 24 min 27 sec ago
0

Taliban say no peace with ‘occupation,’ want US talks

  • The Taliban have always said the war can only end through direct talks with the US
  • Thousands of people - military and civilian - have been killed since the war began

KABUL, Afghanistan: The leader of the Taliban says there will be no peace in Afghanistan as long as the foreign “occupation” continues, reiterating the group’s position that the 17-year war can only be brought to an end through direct talks with the United States.
In a message released Saturday in honor of the Eid Al-Adha holiday, Maulvi Haibatullah Akhunzadah says the group remains committed to “Islamic goals,” the sovereignty of Afghanistan and ending the war.
The Taliban have had a major resurgence in recent years, seizing districts across the country and regularly carrying out large-scale attacks.
From 1996 until 2001, the Taliban ruled in accordance with a harsh interpretation of Islamic law. Women were barred from education and largely confined to their homes, and the country hosted Osama bin Laden and Al-Qaeda.