Italy vote campaign heats up as 5-Star takes aim at Berlusconi

In this file photo taken on January 18, 2018 in Rome Italian former Prime Minister and leader of center-right party Forza Italia (Go Italy), Silvio Berlusconi arriving to attend the TV show "Quinta Colonna", a programme of Italian channel Rete 4. (AFP)
Updated 10 February 2018
0

Italy vote campaign heats up as 5-Star takes aim at Berlusconi

ROME: Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said on Friday he would sue the leader of the anti-establishment 5-Star Movement for calling him “a traitor to the country,” in an increasingly bitter election campaign.
Surveys show 5-Star is the most popular party ahead of the March 4 vote, but it lags a center-right coalition led by Berlusconi's Forza Italia (Go Italy!) — the bloc with most hope of obtaining a majority in Parliament.
“I have instructed my lawyers to prepare the case,” Berlusconi said in a radio interview after 5-Star's leader Luigi Di Maio accused Forza Italia politicians of contributing to a lucrative “business” involving camps for immigrants.
Such camps have been at the center of criminal investigations for alleged corruption.
More than 600,000 migrants have arrived in Italy from north Africa by sea over the last four years, and the issue has become the main battleground of the election.
With the ruling Democratic Party (PD) lagging in the polls, 5-Star is seen as the main obstacle to a centre-right victory, and Berlusconi and Di Maio have stepped up their attacks on each other while largely ignoring PD leader Matteo Renzi.
“If Di Maio won power it would be a catastrophe, Italy would be internationally isolated and our economy would be devastated by taxes,” said Berlusconi, 81, who cannot personally run for office due to a 2013 conviction for tax fraud.
Di Maio said he was “not worried in the least" by the lawsuit and published a Facebook post listing EU treaties on fiscal and immigration policy signed or backed by Berlusconi, which he said had sold Italy short. The post was titled "Berlusconi, seven times a traitor to the country.”


US airstrike in Somalia kills 10 militants

Updated 19 sec ago
0

US airstrike in Somalia kills 10 militants

  • Militant group was blamed for an October truck bombing in Mogadishu that killed more than 500 people last year.
  • Dozens of US airstrikes have been carried out since the Trump administration approved expanded military operations against the extremist group.

MOGADISHU, Somalia: The US military says it has carried out an airstrike outside Somalia’s capital that killed 10 extremists.
The US Africa Command says it has carried out 14 such airstrikes so far this year against the Al-Qaeda-linked Al-Shabab extremist group, which continues to hold some rural areas of the Horn of Africa nation.
Dozens of US airstrikes were carried out last year after the Trump administration approved expanded military operations against Al-Shabab, which was blamed for an October truck bombing in Mogadishu that killed more than 500 people.
The new statement says the US military assesses that no civilians were killed in Wednesday’s strike about 15 miles southwest of Mogadishu. The US has faced accusations in recent months of killing civilians in joint operations with Somali forces against Al-Shabab.