Aid group warns of crisis in Syrian opposition enclave

A photo taken on February 8, 2018 shows smoke plumes rising following a reported regime air strike in the rebel-held enclave of Jisreen in the Eastern Ghouta near Damascus. (AFP)
Updated 10 February 2018
0

Aid group warns of crisis in Syrian opposition enclave

BEIRUT: Relentless bombardment by the Syrian military of the opposition enclave of Eastern Ghouta is hampering vital relief operations, an international aid group warned on Friday.
The intensity of the airstrikes, which have killed more than 220 civilians in just four days, has made it extremely difficult for relief workers to assist the estimated 400,000 people who live in the enclave under siege, CARE International said. “Our partners are having a hard time moving around, so how can they reach vulnerable people?” the group’s communications director for Syria, Joelle Bassoul, asked.
A CARE-supported community center in the town of Douma was among the buildings hit, forcing those using it into underground shelters.
More than 4,000 families in Eastern Ghouta are living in basements and bunkers, according to Save the Children.
The enclave, just east of the capital, is supposed to be one of four “de-escalation zones” declared last year in a bid to reduce the bloodshed.
But Damascus has intensified its bombing of the district’s towns and is also conducting a major offensive in another of the zones — Idlib in the northwest.
UN aid officials appealed for a month-long humanitarian truce to allow aid to be delivered and the sick and wounded brought out for treatment. But on Thursday the Security Council failed to back the proposal which regime ally Moscow described as “not realistic.”
Bassoul warned that without a truce, the consequences for civilians would be disastrous. “If there is no cease-fire, if this is all left unheard, we cannot imagine the scale of the humanitarian disaster,” she said.


Dust storms halt maritime operations in Kuwait

Updated 7 min 54 sec ago
0

Dust storms halt maritime operations in Kuwait

  • Maritime operations have been suspended in three Kuwaiti ports
  • Operations were suspended at 8 a.m. local time due to dust storms

Maritime operations have been suspended in three Kuwaiti ports due to bad weather, the Kuwait Ports Authority said on Thursday.

Operations were suspended at 8 a.m. local time due to dust storms with northwestern winds of 70 km per hour and low visibility.

There are also warnings of waves on the sea of up to seven feet.

Conditions are expected to improve gradually later in the day, according to the national weather center.

Dust storms are common in the region and are often caused by strong winds that blow from the northwest across the Gulf.