Saudi prosecutor to hire women investigators for first time

Saudi Attorney General Sheikh Saud Al-Mojeb. (Photo: Courtesy of Twitter)
Updated 13 February 2018
0

Saudi prosecutor to hire women investigators for first time

RIYADH: The Saudi public prosecutor’s office said Monday it will recruit women as investigators for the first time, as the kingdom seeks to boost female employment under a reform plan for a post-oil era.
“Vacancies are available for women’s positions on the staff of the public prosecution for the rank of lieutenant investigator,” the office announced in a statement relayed by the information ministry.
The announcement is in line with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s “Vision 2030” reform program that seeks to elevate women to nearly one-third of the workforce, up from about 22 percent now.
Saudi Arabia’s passport department recently said it received 107,000 applications for 140 vacant positions for women at airports and border crossings.
King Salman last year decreed that women would be allowed driving permits from June, a historic reform that could put not just millions of women behind the wheel but potentially many more into the workforce.
Saudi Arabia last month allowed women to enter a football stadium for the first time to watch a game.


Saudi Arabia says missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead

Updated 20 October 2018
0

Saudi Arabia says missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead

  • The journalist died after a fistfight at the consulate in Istanbul
  • Deputy intelligence chief, royal court adviser removed from positions, 18 Saudis arrested

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia announced on Saturday the death of missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi, saying a preliminary investigation indicated he lost his life after a fight at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
“The discussions between Jamal Khashoggi and those he met at the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul... devolved into a fistfight, leading to his death,” the Saudi Press Agency said, citing the public prosecutor.
Eighteen Saudis have been arrested in connection with the incident and the investigation is ongoing, the public prosecutor said.
“The Kingdom expresses its deep regret at the painful developments that have taken place and stresses the commitment of the authorities in the Kingdom to bring the facts to the public opinion, to hold all those involved accountable and bring them to justice,” a statement on the SPA said.
Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist who lived in the US, disappeared on Oct. 2 after visiting the consulate to complete paperwork related to his divorce.
Deputy intelligence chief Ahmed Al-Asiri was removed from his position and Saud Al-Qahtani from his advisory role at the Royal Court, through royal decrees.
Three other intelligence officials who were also sacked have been named as Mohammad bin Saleh Al-Rumaih, Abdullah bin Khalifa Al-Shaya and Rashad bin Hamed Al-Muhamadi.
King Salman also ordered the creation of a ministerial committee, headed by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to restructure the country’s General Intelligence agency and issue the results of its work within a month.
Members of the committee include the interior and foreign ministers as well as the heads of the General Intelligence and State Security.
A team of Saudi investigators were sent to Istanbul and have been working on the case with Turkish detectives, who entered the consulate on Thursday.
Earlier in the week, Saudi Arabia promised a thorough and transparent investigation into what happened to the journalist in Turkey.