Pakistan warns of fitting response to Indian aggression

New Delhi must answer for ‘state-sponsored espionage’ against Pakistan, says defense minister. (Photo courtesy: social media)
Updated 13 February 2018
0

Pakistan warns of fitting response to Indian aggression

ISLAMABAD: “Any Indian aggression, strategic miscalculation, or misadventure… shall be met with an equal and proportionate response,” Pakistan’s Defense Minister Khurram Dastgir said on Tuesday.
His Indian counterpart Nirmala Sitharaman on Monday blamed Islamabad for Saturday’s attack on an army camp in Indian-administered Kashmir that killed five soldiers and a civilian and wounded nearly a dozen.
The attackers “derived support” from Pakistan, which “would pay for this adventure,” Sitharaman said.
Pakistan’s Foreign Office on Sunday condemned “India’s smear campaign… and the deliberate creation of war hysteria.”
Foreign Office spokesman Dr. Mohammed Faisal on Tuesday said India’s “tendency of apportioning blame to Pakistan, without a shred of evidence, is regrettable” and carries “no credibility.”
He added: “More deplorable is (India’s) threatening tone (that) further vitiates the already tense environment marked by unprecedented cease-fire violations by India.”
Foreign relations expert Qamar Cheema told Arab News that “the reduced role of the international community on the Kashmir issue” has contributed to a deterioration in Indian-Pakistani relations and a “chaotic” regional situation.
Pakistan’s Defense Ministry vowed to defend the country’s sovereignty, and condemned New Delhi’s “silence” over Indian naval officer Kulbushan Yadev, who was arrested last year by Pakistani security forces on charges of subversive activity.
“Instead of the knee-jerk reaction of blaming Pakistan without substantiation, India must answer for state-sponsored espionage against Pakistan,” said Dastgir.
He accused India of “destabilizing regional peace” and escalating cease-fire violations along the two countries’ disputed border.
Cheema said the impasse “may lead this region to a miscalculation,” and mounting public and media pressure for all-out conflict.


Pompeo to lay out post-nuclear deal strategy to contain Iran

Updated 8 min 39 sec ago
0

Pompeo to lay out post-nuclear deal strategy to contain Iran

WASHINGTON: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is laying out the Trump administration’s strategy for constraining Iran’s nuclear program and opposing its other behavior in the region following President Donald Trump’s withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal.
Pompeo will present the approach during a speech Monday at the conservative Heritage Foundation. It’s Pompeo’s first major policy speech since starting as top US diplomat.
The speech comes a week after Trump announced he was pulling out of the deal struck by President Barack Obama, Iran and world powers. Europeans allies had pleaded with Trump not to scuttle that deal.
Pompeo is expected to call for those same allies and other nations to join the US in ramping up pressure on Iran in hopes of securing what Trump has described as a “better deal.”