KSRelief signs three projects to fight cholera in Yemen

KSRelief Supervisor General Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah and a WHO official sign three projects to combat and eradicate the cholera epidemic in Yemen. (SPA)
Updated 14 February 2018
0

KSRelief signs three projects to fight cholera in Yemen

RIYADH: The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief) signed three humanitarian projects on Tuesday worth $11 million with the World Health Organization (WHO) to combat and eradicate the cholera epidemic in Yemen.
This initiative was taken by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who had already pledged $66.7 million to fight the epidemic in partnership with WHO and UNICEF.
The three signed projects cover diagnosis, prevention, and monitoring steps, all of which are important in preventing and combating cholera. On Nov. 14, 2017, two projects of $23 million were signed for treatment and coordination.
KSRelief Supervisor General Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah expressed his pleasure as his organization is continuing to carry out its plan of comprehensive humanitarian operations serving the Yemeni people.
He said the monitoring project will focus on expanding the early-warning system of monitoring cholera, to ensure coordination, immediate reports of cholera cases, lab test results, confirmation and responding mechanisms. The project covers all 23 Yemeni governorates.
The prevention project will focus on launching awareness campaigns on audiovisual and social media platforms, as well as intensifying operations to identify suspicious cases, referring them to medical facilities, specifying the most affected areas in order to carry out the vaccination campaign, training medical staff on how to prevent infections, and providing 400,000 cholera vaccinations.
Dr. Ibrahim Al-Zeik, on behalf of WHO, thanked the Kingdom for the continuous humanitarian support it provides to the world, and especially to Yemen.


Saudi King Salman, crown prince receive US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

Updated 52 min 34 sec ago
0

Saudi King Salman, crown prince receive US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

  • Pompeo thanked King Salman for his commitment to a thorough, transparent investigation
  • The crown prince assured Pompeo that the US and Saudi Arabia are "old, strong allies"

RIYADH: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with King Salman in the Saudi capital on Tuesday, before arriving at Riyadh’s royal palace to talk with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Pompeo thanked Saudi King Salman for his commitment to a thorough, transparent investigation of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi's disappearance, while the crown prince assured him that the US and Saudi Arabia are "old, strong allies."

The US chief diplomat was greeted at Riyadh airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir and ambassador to Washington Prince Khalid bin Salman.

“I hope you are comfortable here,” the king told Pompeo, according to the reporters. Pompeo responded, “Thank you for accepting my visit on behalf of President Donald Trump.”

Pompeo will hold talks in Turkey on Wednesday, the Turkish foreign ministry said, after his visit to Riyadh.
The top American diplomat will meet his Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu to discuss bilateral and regional issues including Syria, the Turkish foreign ministry said in a statement.
The statement did not refer to the disappearance of Khashoggi after his visit to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2 to receive documents ahead of his wedding.