Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school

Students released from a lockdown embrace following following a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. (John McCall/South Florida Sun-Sentinel via AP)
Updated 15 February 2018
0

Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school

PARKLAND, FLORIDA: A 19-year-old gunman opened fire on Wednesday at a Florida high school he had previously been expelled from, killing 17 people before he was arrested by police, authorities said.
The violence erupted shortly before dismissal at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, about 45 miles (72 km) north of Miami. Live television footage showed students streaming out of the building as dozens of police and emergency services personnel swarmed the area.
The gunman was identified as Nikolas Cruz, who previously attended the school and was expelled for unspecified disciplinary reasons, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a news briefing hours later.
“It’s a horrific situation,” Broward Country Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie told reporters separately.
The gunman surrendered to police without a struggle, Israel said.
“It’s catastrophic,” he said. “There really are no words.”
Twelve of the dead were killed inside the school building, two others just outside, one more on the street and two other victims died of their injuries at a hospital, Israel said. He said the victims comprised a mixture of students and adults.
It was the 18th shooting in a US school so far this year, according to gun control group Everytown for Gun Safety. That tally includes suicides and incidents when no one was injured, as well as the January incident when a 15-year-old gunman killed two students at a Benton, Kentucky, high school.
More than five years have passed since a gunman killed 20 first graders and six educators in Newtown, Connecticut, stirring the long US debate about gun rights, which are protected by the Second Amendment of the US Constitution.


Bahrain strips 115 of nationality over ‘terrorism’: public prosecutor

Updated 15 May 2018
0

Bahrain strips 115 of nationality over ‘terrorism’: public prosecutor

DUBAI: A court in Bahrain revoked the citizenship of 115 people and gave 53 of them life sentences on terrorism charges, the public prosecutor said on Tuesday, in one of the most severe rulings yet in the Gulf island kingdom.
Authorities in Western-backed Bahrain have accused scores of people of militancy in a series of mass trials, saying the defendants are backed by Iran. Rights activists say they have included mostly peaceful opposition members.
This case pertains to Bahrain's allegation in 2015 that Iranian Revolutionary Guards helped Shiite Bahraini fugitives join forces to set up a militant group called the Zulfiqar Brigades to destabilise the country.
Prosecutors accused 138 people of "being behind a number of explosions, possession of explosives and training in the use of weapons and explosives and the attempted murder of police officers", the prosecutor said in a statement.
Fifty-three defendants were sentenced to life terms, 62 to between three and 15 years in prison, while 23 were acquitted.
Bahrain, where the US Fifth Fleet is based, has been waging a crackdown on Shi’ite opposition groups and rights activists since they led pro-democracy Arab Spring protests in 2011, a campaign that has been condemned internationally.
Bahrain has accused the opposition of undermining security and blamed the bombings on Iran and Lebanon’s armed Shi’ite group Hezbollah. Iran and Hezbollah deny any involvement in Bahrain’s unrest.