Global powers must address ‘episodes of cyberwar’: UN chief

Antonio Guterres, UN Secretary General, speaks during the International Security Conference in Munich. (AP)
Updated 16 February 2018
0

Global powers must address ‘episodes of cyberwar’: UN chief

MUNICH: World leaders must lay the groundwork on how countries respond to cyberattacks that have proven to be a daunting threat, whether by state actors or criminal enterprises, UN secretary general Antonio Guterres said Friday.
“It is clear we are witnessing in a more or less disguised way cyberwars between states, episodes of cyberwar between states,” Guterres said during one of the opening speeches at the Munich Security Conference.
“It’s high time to have a serious discussion about the international legal framework in which cyberwars take place,” he said.
“The fact is we haven’t been able to discuss whether or not the Geneva convention applies to cyberwar and whether international humanitarian law applies to cyberwar.”
The United States and Britain on Thursday blamed the Russian military for last year’s devastating “NotPetya” ransomware attack, calling it a Kremlin effort to destabilize Ukraine, which spun out of control.
The attacks ended up crippling computer networks in the United States and Europe, including those of some big companies.
Washington has also blamed North Korea for the huge “WannaCry” ransomware attack last May in which more than 300,000 computers were struck in some 150 nations.
“How to respond in cases of permanent violations of cybersecurity? What are the different uses that criminal, terror organizations are making of the web?” Guterres said.
Finding a consensus on how to respond to such attacks is urgent, he said, “especially now that artificial intelligence, that is providing enormous potential for economic development, social development, for the well-being of all, is also in the opinion of many an existential threat for humankind.”
“It is necessary to bring together governments, the private sector, those involved in civil society, academics, research centers, in order to be able to establish at least some basic protocols to allow the web to be an effective instrument for the good,” he said.


SpaceX to announce private moon flight passenger

Big Falcon Rocket will transport the person to the moon. (SpaceX/Reuters)
Updated 17 September 2018
0

SpaceX to announce private moon flight passenger

  • The person will fly to the moon aboard a new rocket called the BFR, which is still in development
  • SpaceX has said it will also reveal why the person is going

HAWTHORNE, California: SpaceX is on the verge of announcing the name of person who would be the first private passenger on a trip around the moon.
The identity of the traveler will be released at SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne, California, during an event Monday evening.
Entrepreneur Elon Musk’s space launch company said last week that the person will fly to the moon aboard a new rocket called the BFR, which is still in development.
SpaceX has said it will also reveal why the person is going.
No guidance has been given on when the moon flight could happen.
The average distance from Earth to the moon is about 237,685 miles (382,500 kilometers).
No one has been there since an Apollo mission in 1972.