Brazilian match abandoned after brawl and nine red cards

A Brazilian state football championship match had to be abandoned after a mass brawl led to nine red cards. (Shutterstock)
Updated 20 February 2018
0

Brazilian match abandoned after brawl and nine red cards

RIO DE JANEIRO: A Brazilian state football championship match had to be abandoned after a mass brawl led to nine red cards — and there could be more punishments coming, authorities said on Monday.
Bahia and Vitoria clashed on Sunday in the Bahia state championship, in the north-east of Brazil, when mayhem erupted.
The spark came after Bahia equalized three minutes into the second half and goalscorer Vinicius celebrated with a vulgar gesture that simulated sex. In response, Vitoria goalkeeper Fernando Miguel confronted Vinicius, causing a ruckus.
Seven players were sent off for their part in the brawl, while two more players were sent off later in the match, after which the referee abandoned the game with 11 minutes still to play as Vitoria had only six players left on the pitch.
Football rules state that games cannot continue unless both teams have at least seven players — it means Bahia will likely be awarded a 3-0 victory.
“The attitude of our goalkeeper was provocative and triggered the fight,” admitted Vitoria’s president, Ricardo David, on Sport TV.
“From there on it was general. There were no saints. Everyone is guilty and they deserve to be punished.”
That may now happen. The Bahia Football Federation said on Monday it would act “within the limits” of its authority and send a report to the state court to see what disciplinary measures might be taken.


Han Solo’s ‘Return of the Jedi’ blaster sells for $550,000

Updated 24 June 2018
0

Han Solo’s ‘Return of the Jedi’ blaster sells for $550,000

  • The faux weapon, mainly made of wood, had been put on display in New York by Julien’s Auctions last month after more than 30 years tucked away in the belongings of James Schoppe, art director of “Return of the Jedi”
  • Martin Nolan, the auction house’s executive director, said Schoppe, an Oscar nominee for his work on the film, finally decided to part with Solo’s gun and about 40 other items from the movie, including an Ewok axe and plans for Jabba the Hutt’s ship

WASHINGTON: In the wildly popular “Star Wars” films, Han Solo once told a lightsaber-wielding Luke Skywalker: “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”
That was the case when one of the blaster pistol props used by Harrison Ford in “Return of the Jedi” (1983) went under the hammer, selling for $550,000 — topping the $450,000 previously fetched by Skywalker’s lightsaber from the first two films.
“SOLD for $550,000! An original Han Solo blaster used in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi!” Julien’s Auctions announced on Twitter Saturday.
The faux weapon, mainly made of wood, had been put on display in New York by Julien’s Auctions last month after more than 30 years tucked away in the belongings of James Schoppe, art director of “Return of the Jedi.”
Martin Nolan, the auction house’s executive director, said Schoppe, an Oscar nominee for his work on the film, finally decided to part with Solo’s gun and about 40 other items from the movie, including an Ewok axe and plans for Jabba the Hutt’s ship.
The Ewok axe went for $11,250, while another blaster prop from the film fetched $90,624, according to Julien’s Auctions.
But none of the props were a match for the space saga’s much-loved droid: last year, an R2-D2 used in the making of several “Star Wars” films sold for $2.76 million at auction in Los Angeles.