Villarreal player Ruben Semedo arrested after ‘violent incident’, holding person against their will

In this file photo taken last year, Villarreal's Portuguese defender Ruben Semedo (R) vies with Astana's forward from Kazakhstan Roman Murtazayev. (AFP)
Updated 20 February 2018
0

Villarreal player Ruben Semedo arrested after ‘violent incident’, holding person against their will

MADRID: Villarreal’s Portuguese defender Ruben Semedo, a teammate of Saudi Arabian international Salem Al-Dawsari, was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of holding somebody against their will and causing injury, a source close to the investigation told AFP.
Semedo, 23, was taken into custody after being arrested at his home in the early hours of Tuesday, the source said.
Valencia newspaper Las Provincias reported that a complaint was made against Semedo by the alleged victim on February 12 following a “violent incident.”
The alleged victim, a man, said he was “tied up, beaten and held by Semedo and two other men at the player’s villa in Betera,” near Valencia, Las Provincias said.
Villarreal later issued a statement saying they had opened disciplinary proceedings against the player to investigate what had happened.
“The club will take the appropriate strict disciplinary measures based on the seriousness of the incidents,” said the club, who are currently sixth in La Liga.
Las Provincias said that the alleged victim was locked in a bedroom while the men took the key to his apartment in order to “rob money or get hold of something that could have held them responsible for another offense.”
It is not the first time Portuguese under-21 international Semedo has been in trouble with police since signing for Villarreal from Sporting Lisbon prior to this season.
He was arrested in November following an alleged altercation at a nightclub, for which he is awaiting trial.


Egypt in surprise bid to be new African Cup host

Updated 14 December 2018
0

Egypt in surprise bid to be new African Cup host

  • Egypt’s bid came after Morocco said this week it wouldn’t put itself forward as a candidate
  • Cameroon lost being the host of the Cup because of poor preparations and a violent insurgency in parts of that country

CAIRO: The Egyptian Football Association says it has submitted a bid to replace Cameroon as next year’s African Cup of Nations host, a surprise pitch by the North African country which wasn’t initially thought of as a contender.
Egypt’s bid, announced Thursday to meet Friday’s deadline, came after Morocco said this week it wouldn’t put itself forward as a candidate. Morocco had been considered the front-runner after being a candidate to host the 2026 World Cup. It lost out in that race to a joint United States-Mexico-Canada bid.
The Confederation of African Football has given countries until the end of Friday to submit bids for the 2019 African Cup, which was taken away from Cameroon last month because of poor preparations and a violent insurgency in parts of that country. CAF wants a new host in place by Dec. 31, with the tournament in June and July looming.
South Africa is another possible stand-in host, but the South African Football Association hasn’t confirmed it will bid and says it needs government approval before any decision.