Samsung set to launch new flagship smartphones

Visitors try out Samsung Electronics’ VR at its booth near the Medal Plaza in Pyeongchang. (Reuters)
Updated 21 February 2018
0

Samsung set to launch new flagship smartphones

SEOUL: Samsung Electronics will unveil its next flagship smartphones — the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ — on Sunday, after it reported record profits in recent weeks and its vice chairman was released from prison.
Samsung, the flagship subsidiary of South Korea’s biggest business group, suffered a humiliating recall of its Galaxy Note 7 device in 2016, and was then embroiled in the sprawling corruption scandal that brought down ousted president Park Guen-hye.
But its Galaxy S8 smartphone was a consumer and critical success and financially it has gone from strength to strength.
It enjoyed net profit of more than 42 trillion won ($39 billion) last year, and this month Lee Jae-yong, heir to the founding family, was released from prison after most of his bribery convictions were quashed on appeal.
Its latest phones will be launched at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, with teasers suggesting the major changes will be to the camera.
Visually they will resemble their predecessors but with a slightly smaller bottom bezel, a spate of leaks suggest.
Both Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ have upgraded cameras with variable apertures capable of shooting up to 960 frames per second for “super slow-motion” videos, according to tech website WinFuture, and stereo speakers.
Samsung has also revamped the series’ internals with faster processors, it added, and their batteries — the issue at the heart of the Galaxy Note 7 debacle — can last a full working day.

- AFP


OPEC allies including Russia back output hike: Angola

Updated 23 June 2018
0

OPEC allies including Russia back output hike: Angola

  • Russia on Saturday joined partner countries in backing an OPEC-led pledge to boost oil production in response to growing global demand
  • The green light was widely expected after energy ministers from the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries already agreed on Friday to raise output by one million barrels a day

VIENNA: Russia on Saturday joined partner countries in backing an OPEC-led pledge to boost oil production in response to growing global demand, Angolan Oil Minister Diamantino Azevedo said.
“We have agreed,” Azevedo told reporters after a meeting with OPEC ministers and 10 non-OPEC partner countries in Vienna.
The green light was widely expected after energy ministers from the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries already agreed on Friday to raise output by one million barrels a day.
The proposal is the result of a face-saving compromise hammered out after days of tense talks in Vienna dominated by Iran’s resistance to easing an 18-month-old supply-cut deal that has lifted oil prices to multi-year highs.
Saudi Arabia, supported by Russia, was strongly in favor of pumping more oil to ease fears of a supply crunch and quiet grumbles about the higher prices in major consumer countries like the United States, China and India.
But Iran, bracing for the impact of fresh US sanctions on its oil exports, fiercely objected to raising output targets, as did countries like crisis-hit Venezuela and Iraq who are unable to raise output in the near term.
In the end, a vaguely-worded statement that made no mention of the one-million figure allowed all sides to save face.
Ministers also acknowledged that production problems in several countries meant the real number of extra barrels coming to the market would be several hundred thousand less.
Markets were disappointed with the modest output hike, sending crude prices soaring on Friday.
Brent crude added $2.50 to finish at $75.55 a barrel, while the US benchmark West Texas Intermediate gained $3.04 at $68.58 per barrel.