Arab News columnist Saeed Al-Gergawi named director of Dubai Future Academy

Al-Gergawi, who writes for Arab News, will lead an academy that aims to empower UAE leaders to shape the future. (Dubai Media Office)
Updated 21 February 2018
0

Arab News columnist Saeed Al-Gergawi named director of Dubai Future Academy

DUBAI: The Emirati scientist and Arab News columnist Saeed Al-Gergawi has been appointed director of the Dubai Future Academy, which aims to empower UAE leaders to shape the future.

The appointment was made following a resolution by Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, crown prince of Dubai.

Al-Gergawi will lead the academy, which aims to deliver educational programs that address today’s pressing challenges by preparing industry pioneers in the UAE to create a better future, according to a statement on Sheikh Hamdan’s website.

The academy is part of the Dubai Future Foundation.

Al-Gergawi is a graduate of Eastern Michigan University, and worked as director of the Mars 2117 Program as well as being a member of the strategic team of the UAE’s Hope Probe mission to the Red Planet. He also worked as a researcher at the Mohammed bin Rashid Space Center.

Speaking to Arab News, Al-Gergawi said: “I am very excited about my new role because it is in an area that is ever changing and one that is focusing on developing the right skills needed for the future as well as providing entities (both public and private) with the right insights needed on the trends of the future that will impact humanity as a whole.”

He added: “I am looking forward to redefining how knowledge is shared to the public as well as those with expertise, since education has not changed in the last 150 years. With the unpredictability of the future, I also look forward to seeing new ideas that will be discussed in the academy and implementing them with partners as well as individuals.”


Google fined $1.7bn for search ad blocks

Updated 20 March 2019
0

Google fined $1.7bn for search ad blocks

  • Google received three fines in the past two years
  • EU Commission says Google has been blocking competitors for the past ten years

BRUSSELS: Google was fined $1.7 billion on Wednesday for blocking rival online search advertisers, the third large European Union antitrust penalty for the Alphabet business in two only years.

The European Commission, which said the fine accounted for 1.29 percent of Google’s turnover in 2018, said in a statement that the anti-competitive practices had lasted a decade.

“Google has cemented its dominance in online search adverts and shielded itself from competitive pressure by imposing anti-competitive contractual restrictions on third-party websites,” European Competition Commissioner Margrethe Vestager said.

The case concerned websites, such as of newspaper or travel sites, with a search function that produces search results and search adverts. Google’s AdSense for Search provided such search adverts.

The misconduct included stopping publishers from placing any search adverts from competitors on their search results pages, forcing them to reserve the most profitable space on their search results pages for Google’s adverts and a requirement to seek written approval from Google before making changes to the way in which any rival adverts were displayed.

The AdSense advertising case was triggered by a complaint from Microsoft in 2010. Both companies subsequently dropped complaints against each other in 2016.

Last year, Vestager imposed a record $4.92 billion fine on Google for using its popular Android mobile operating system to block rivals. This followed a $2.74 billion fine in June 2017 for hindering rivals of shopping comparison websites.

Google is now trying to comply with the order to ensure a level playing field with proposals to boost price comparison rivals and prompt Android users to choose their preferred browsers and search apps. Critics however are still not happy.