Al-Nassr players miss out on big bonus after shock King's Cup defeat

Ricardo Gomes will have been disappointed to see his Al-Nassr side exited the King's Cup. (Al-Nassr)
Updated 24 February 2018
0

Al-Nassr players miss out on big bonus after shock King's Cup defeat

LONDON: Al-Nassr’s surprise King’s Cup defeat at the hands of Al-Batin cost their players a bonus of at least SR25,000 ($6,668).
The Riyadh-based club had been promised by board member Saud bin Mohammed bin Fahad Al-Swailem that they would receive the bonus if they had reached the semifinal of the competition, SR50,000 if they reached the final, and SR100,000 if they won the cup for the seventh time — and the first since 1990.
But Ricardo Gomes’ side were knocked out 1-0 at home by Al-Batin on Wednesday night, ending their dreams of cup glory for another season. The team will struggle to explain the loss since they enjoyed 65 percent possession, forced 11 corners to Al-Batin’s one and had nine shots on target to the visitors’ single effort.
The only goal of the game came after 18 minutes from Al-Batin’s Brazilian striker Jhonnattann. It was the second time they had beaten Al-Nassr in a week after running out 3-0 winners in the Saudi Pro League. The back-to-back defeats will have shocked Al-Nassr, who are fourth in the table while Al-Batin are 11th.
Al-Batin will now have their eye on an unlikely King’s Cup triumph after holders Al-Hilal were knocked out in the last round. In the remaining quarterfinal ties, Al-Ittihad will play Al-Shabab, Al-Feiha will host Al-Ahli, and Al-Quadisiya will meet Al-Faisaly.


Chelsea handed two-year transfer ban by FIFA

Updated 54 min 41 sec ago
0

Chelsea handed two-year transfer ban by FIFA

  • Ban is punishment for breaking rules on registering under-age players.
  • The Blues refute the findings of the FIFA disciplinary committee and will appeal.

LONDON: Premier League club Chelsea have been banned from signing new players in the next two transfer windows as punishment for breaking rules on registering under-age players, FIFA said on Friday.
It means the club — who immediately said they would appeal the decision — will be unable to make signings until the end of January next year.
“The disciplinary committee sanctioned Chelsea with a ban on registering new players at both national and international level for the next two complete and consecutive registration periods,” FIFA said in a statement.
In addition, Chelsea were fined 600,000 Swiss francs ($600,000, 530,000 euros) and given a period of 90 days to regularise the situation of the minor players concerned.
The ban does not prevent players being released by the club and it does not apply to Chelsea’s women’s and futsal teams.
Chelsea have been given three days to appeal against FIFA’s decision, which could prove highly damaging, for example preventing the club from signing a replacement for Eden Hazard if the star player leaves the club.
“Chelsea FC categorically refutes the findings of the FIFA disciplinary committee and will therefore be appealing the decision,” said a statement on the club’s website.
“Initially, Chelsea FC was charged... in relation to 92 players,” it added. “We welcome the fact that FIFA has accepted that there was no breach in relation to 63 of these players, but the club is extremely disappointed that FIFA has not accepted the club’s submissions in relation to the remaining 29 players.”
The move follows a FIFA probe into Chelsea’s signing of foreign under-18 players, including the club’s former forward Bertrand Traore, a Burkina Faso international who now plays for French Ligue 1 club Lyon.
Traore signed professional forms for Chelsea in 2013 at the age of 18 but was not registered until January the following year.
French website Mediapart, quoting documents from Football Leaks, reported that FIFA found evidence that Chelsea had supplied misleading information about Traore’s signing and that he had made more than 20 appearances for the club at different age levels despite not being registered by the Football Association (FA).
FIFA said Friday it was also fining the Football Association 510,000 Swiss francs for breaking the rules on signing minors.
The world governing body gave the FA a period of six months to update its processes concerning international transfers and the registration of minors.
The FA responded on Twitter, saying: “The FA notes the decision of the FIFA disciplinary committee published today. The FA has cooperated fully with FIFA’s investigations, although we have raised some concerns with FIFA regarding its disciplinary processes.
“The FA intends to appeal the decision. We will however continue to work with FIFA and Chelsea in a constructive manner to address the issues which are raised by this case.”