US welcomes Saudi-led coalition’s humanitarian efforts in Yemen

Saudi soldiers stand guard as workers unload aid from a Saudi air force cargo plane at an airfield in Yemen's central province of Marib, in this February 8, 2018 photo. (AFP)
Updated 24 February 2018
0

US welcomes Saudi-led coalition’s humanitarian efforts in Yemen

JEDDAH: The US on Saturday has welcomed the Saudi-led coalition’s humanitarian efforts in Yemen.
A statement from White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said: “The coalition released a humanitarian operations plan on Jan. 22, 2018, and as part of that plan, it has agreed to transfer $930 million to United Nations agencies in support of the 2018 Yemen Humanitarian Response Plan by March 31. Four World Food Programme (WFP) mobile cranes funded by the United States have now begun offloading supplies at Yemen’s Hudaydah port.
“We appreciate the coalition’s willingness to contribute to Yemen’s reconstruction, including investment in key ports and transportation infrastructure, and to work with the United Nations, WFP, and NGOs to meet the needs of millions of desperate Yemeni people.”
“The United States stands ready to assist Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates in accomplishing critical objectives, including expanding access to food and medicine for Yemenis suffering after nearly four years of civil war, and reiterates the continuing necessity for unfettered access for delivering humanitarian and commercial goods through all ports of entry,” the statement said.
“We urge the Houthis to work with the international community to ensure all essential supplies reach the millions in predominately Houthi-controlled areas who are in the greatest need. Alleviating these vital humanitarian needs and legitimate security concerns of countries in the region depends on a political settlement to the conflict, and therefore the US applauds the recent public commitments of several important parties to the conflict to renew diplomatic efforts and stands ready to support UN-led efforts to achieve peace.”


Saudi Arabian Ministry of Interior has received more than 120,000 applications for driving licenses so far

Updated 32 min 14 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabian Ministry of Interior has received more than 120,000 applications for driving licenses so far

RIYADH: The Saudi Arabian Ministry of Interior has established six driving schools for women in different regions of Saudi Arabia, according to an interior ministry spokesperson.

Mansour Al-Turki said on Sunday that the ministry has received more than 120,000 applications for driving licenses so far and demand is still very high.

Saudi women celebrated taking the wheel for the first time in decades on Sunday as the Kingdom overturned the world’s only ban on female motorists, a historic reform expected to usher in a new era of social mobility.

At a press conference to mark the occasion, Al-Turki said there are 9 districts where female driving schools have not yet been established and there is evidence to suggest women in these areas want to learn.

The interior ministry spokesperson urged motorists not to violate regulations and infringe on the rights and freedoms of others.

Meanwhile, Director General of the Saudi Traffic Directorate, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Al-Bassami said the directorate has developed a device to identify and verify driving licenses through a fingerprinting system.

He acknowledged there is great awareness among women in dealing with traffic rules and regulations, adding there are no traffic exemptions for women, only for people with special needs.

The move is part of Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman’s plan to modernize and reform Saudi Arabia.