Deeply indebted Lisa Marie Presley and manager in dueling lawsuits

Lisa Marie Presley says she is facing financial ruin. (AFP)
Updated 25 February 2018
0

Deeply indebted Lisa Marie Presley and manager in dueling lawsuits

LOS ANGELES: Lisa Marie Presley, the only daughter of Elvis Presley, says she is facing financial ruin and has filed a $100 million lawsuit accusing her former business manager of negligence and mismanaging her finances.
Her ex-manager has filed his own lawsuit, accusing Presley, 50, of squandering her famous father’s inheritance because of her lavish lifestyle. The lawsuit seeks $800,000 in unpaid bills.
The dueling lawsuits, filed earlier last week in Los Angeles Superior Court, follow the collapse in 2016 of Presley’s fourth marriage and her announcement that she was $16 million in debt.
Presley was just nine-years-old when Elvis died in 1977, leaving her as his sole heir. Her affairs have been managed by Barry Siegel since 1993, when she came into her inheritance through a trust.
Her lawsuit said Presley’s “11-year odyssey to financial ruin” began in 2005 and alleged that as a result of Siegel’s actions, “Lisa has been damaged in an amount that has not yet been fully ascertained, but is believed to be in excess of $100 million.”
The 2005 deal she was referring to involved income from Elvis’ former home Graceland and his intellectual property rights.
The lawsuit said that by 2016, the trust was left with $14,000 in cash and over $500,000 in credit card debt.
Siegel’s lawsuit said Lisa Marie has “twice squandered” her inheritance and she had been repeatedly told to curb “her spendthrift ways.”


Brewery on backfoot after Egyptian keeper declines Man of the Match award

Updated 35 sec ago
0

Brewery on backfoot after Egyptian keeper declines Man of the Match award

MOSCOW: Budweiser say they “respect the religious beliefs” of all players after Egyptian keeper Mohamed Elshenawy declined his man-of-the-match award sponsored by the American beer giant at the World Cup.
Elshenawy was nominated after his stoic efforts holding off Uruguay striker Luis Suarez in Egypt’s 1-0 defeat to the South Americans in their World Cup opener on Friday.
But the 29-year-old turned down the award due to his Muslim faith.
Budweiser told AFP on Monday: “We respect the religious beliefs of all players and worked with FIFA to put a process in place for Man of The Match winners who wish to not be featured with the Budweiser branding for religious reasons.
“Official Man of The Match winners who decline the Bud trophy for religious reasons will still receive full honors, such as Mohamed Elshenawy did, and we congratulate him on his accomplishment.”