Yemen: The international community must unite to stop export of Iranian weapons to the Houthis

Newly recruited Houthi militants take part in a gathering in the capital Sanaa to mobilize more militants to battlefronts to fight pro-government forces in several Yemeni cities. (AFP)
Updated 05 March 2018
0

Yemen: The international community must unite to stop export of Iranian weapons to the Houthis

DUBAI: The Yemeni government reiterated its call for the international community to join forces to stop the continued export of Iranian weapons to Houthi militia, Saudi state-news channel Al-Ekhbariya reported.
The exports are a violation of UN Security Council resolutions and contribute to the continuation of the war and instability in the region, the government said.
Yemeni Foreign Minister Abdulmalik Al-Makhlafi said during his meeting with the US Ambassador to Yemen Matthew Tueller that the Iranian-backed Houthis have worked in every way to prevent reaching a sustainable peace in the country.
Al-Makhlafi reiterated the position of the legitimate government, which is committed to the peaceful solution based on the three reference points agreed upon locally, regionally and internationally.
He also renewed the support of the legitimate government for the new UN Secretary-General’s envoy, Martin Griffiths, expressed appreciation for the efforts of former envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed.
He stressed the need to take advantage of the international community’s understanding of the situation in Yemen and build on the terms of the solution agreed upon to reach a sustainable peace that strengthens the government’s efforts to alleviate the suffering of Yemeni citizens at the hands of the militia.
For his part, Ambassador Tueller stressed the US’ support to the Yemeni government in the face of risks and challenges, pointing out the importance of continuous communication and coordination between the two sides and efforts to achieve peace in the country.


Turkey targets military over alleged Gulen links

Updated 14 December 2018
0

Turkey targets military over alleged Gulen links

  • The Istanbul public prosecutor ordered arrest warrants for 219 soldiers on active duty
  • They are believed to have ties to the group led by US-based Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen

ISTANBUL: Turkish authorities on Friday ordered the arrest of over 200 military personnel in new raids against suspects linked to the attempted coup in 2016, state media reported.
The Istanbul public prosecutor ordered arrest warrants for 219 soldiers on active duty including four colonels and five lieutenant colonels, state news agency Anadolu said.
Istanbul police launched an operation to capture the suspects on Friday morning.
They are believed to have ties to the group led by US-based Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen, a former ally turned foe of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Ankara accuses Gulen of being behind the failed coup but he strongly denies any links.
In Ankara, the capital’s public prosecutor issued arrest warrants on Friday for 48 people, mainly working in the arms industry, also over alleged links to Gulen.
Turkey refers to the group as the “Fethullah Terrorist Organization” but followers insist they have peaceful goals of promoting Islam and secular education.
Over 50,000 people have been arrested since the failed putsch in a purge lambasted by human rights activists and Ankara’s Western allies.
Nearly 130,000 public sector workers have been sacked.
Last week, dozens of people including airforce personnel were detained for suspected links to coup-plotters in nationwide operations.
Turkish officials insist the raids are necessary to cleanse state institutions of the “virus” of infiltration by the Gulen movement.