Aid reaches Eastern Ghouta despite heavy airstrikes

1 / 2
Trucks from Syrian Red Crescent and humanitarian partners are seen in Ghouta, Syria, on Monday in this photo obtained from social media. (REUTERS)
2 / 2
A photo from the International Committee of The Red Cross, shows a convoy of the Red Cross vehicles headed to eastern Ghouta on Monday, March 5. A 46-truck convoy organized by the United Nations and key aid agencies have entered the town of Douma to deliver food and basic medicines. (International Committee of The Red Cross via AP)
Updated 06 March 2018
0

Aid reaches Eastern Ghouta despite heavy airstrikes

DOUMA: An international convoy entered Syria’s Eastern Ghouta to deliver much-needed aid on Monday as the regime pounded the region with fresh bombardment, killing dozens as it seized more ground.
At least 50 people were killed Monday, a monitor said, as the UN said dozens of trucks carrying aid reached the main town of Douma.
The regime blocked some supplies as the first aid convoy arrived since the start two weeks ago of a bloody Russian-backed assault that has sparked outrage but little action from the West.
The 46 aid trucks arrived after fresh airstrikes hit besieged Eastern Ghouta and regime troops were reported to have retaken a third of the enclave in a rapidly advancing offensive.
An AFP reporter in Douma said warplanes were flying overhead and explosions from further bombardment on the enclave could be heard even as the aid was being unloaded.
According to the Observatory, an airstrike hit the Douma area about 1 km from where the trucks were unloading.
More than two weeks of airstrikes, artillery and rocket fire on the last major opposition-held enclave near Damascus have left hundreds dead and three quarters of the region’s housing damaged.
More bombs, including crude, improvised “barrel bombs,” were dropped in overnight raids on Monday, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
At least 19 people were killed in the devastated town of Hammuriyeh, said the Britain-based monitoring group, which relies on a network of sources inside Syria.
Another 31 died elsewhere in the enclave, it added, bringing to 740 the number of civilians killed since the assault began, including at least 170 children.
The UN Human Rights Council on Monday ordered investigators to examine the latest violence.
The resolution, tabled by Britain, specifically condemned “the indiscriminate use of heavy weapons and aerial bombardments against civilians, and the alleged use of chemical weapons in Eastern Ghouta.”
Regime troops and allied forces have pushed into the enclave from the east in recent days, and by early Monday they had retaken a third of Eastern Ghouta, according to the Observatory.
“Regime forces are advancing at a high pace because operations so far are mostly conducted in farmland,” Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said, adding that they had advanced to within 2 km southeast of Douma.
The armed groups there, one of which is made up of fighters from Al-Qaeda’s ex-affiliate, have been lobbing mortar rounds and firing rockets on adjacent neighborhoods of Damascus, killing around 20 civilians in two weeks.
The latest ground offensive sent hundreds of civilians fleeing from their homes to other areas farther from the moving front line, compounding a humanitarian crisis which has drawn comparisons with the regime’s devastating 2016 assault to retake second city Aleppo.
A suffocating, years-long government siege has forced Eastern Ghouta’s estimated 400,000 inhabitants to scrape by on smuggled goods, produce from local farms and rare aid deliveries.
Monday’s convoy was delivering “health and nutrition supplies, along with food for 27,500 people in need,” the UN’s humanitarian coordination office OCHA said.
But an OCHA spokesperson said “the UN and partners were informed that many of the planned health supplies intended for Douma were not allowed to be loaded and not permitted to be replaced with other life-saving items.”
“The items included trauma kits and other life-saving supplies,” Linda Tom told AFP, calling for a solution to the problem ahead of the next delivery, slated for Thursday.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), a partner in the aid convoy with the UN and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, also pleaded for increased access.
“Repeated and continuous humanitarian access is essential and more must be granted in the coming period,” the ICRC’s Middle East director Robert Mardini said in a statement.
The US on Sunday condemned the assault and accused Moscow of ignoring a UN resolution calling for a 30-day cessation of hostilities.


India ‘arrogant’ for canceling rare meeting: Pakistan’s Khan

Updated 21 min 24 sec ago
0

India ‘arrogant’ for canceling rare meeting: Pakistan’s Khan

  • India pulled the plug on a meeting between its foreign minister and her Pakistani counterpart set for next week on the sidelines of a major UN conference, just one day after saying it would go ahead.
  • High-level talks between India and Pakistan are rare.

ISLAMABAD: India’s decision to cancel rare talks with Islamabad was disappointing and “arrogant,” Imran Khan said Saturday, one day after New Delhi accused Pakistan’s prime minister of harboring an “evil agenda.”
India pulled the plug on a meeting between its foreign minister and her Pakistani counterpart set for next week on the sidelines of a major UN conference, just one day after saying it would go ahead.
The foreign ministry in New Delhi blamed the about-face on recent actions that had revealed Pakistan’s “evil agenda” and the “true face” of Khan, who hit back on Twitter Saturday.
“Disappointed at the arrogant & negative response by India to my call for resumption of the peace dialogue,” he wrote.
“However, all my life I have come across small men occupying big offices who do not have the vision to see the larger picture.”
New Delhi said it canceled the talks after the “latest brutal killings of our security personnel by Pakistan-based entities” and the recent release of a series of Pakistani postage stamps “glorifying a terrorist and terrorism.”
India did not specify which killings it was referring to in its statement, but earlier this week, an Indian border guard in the disputed territory of Kashmir was killed and his body mutilated.
Three policemen were then found dead on Friday after being abducted in Indian-administered Kashmir.
Pakistan also recently issued postage stamps of Burhan Wani, a charismatic Kashmiri militant commander killed by Indian troops in July 2016, whose death sparked a wave of violent protests in the territory.
India has long accused Pakistan of arming rebel groups in Kashmir, a Himalayan territory divided between the two countries but claimed in full by both.
In a statement from its foreign office, Pakistan said Friday it had “nothing to do with” the deaths, accusing India of spreading “motivated and malicious propaganda.”
The meeting in New York between Indian Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj and Pakistan’s Shah Mehmood Qureshi — on the sidelines of the annual UN General Assembly debate — was only confirmed on Thursday.
It came after Khan wrote to his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi calling for a resumption of talks between the nuclear-armed foes.
High-level talks between India and Pakistan are rare. Indian media described the meeting would have been the first in nearly three years.