Egypt fetes Saudi crown prince during visit to Suez Canal

1 / 4
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi tour the Suez Canal. (SPA)
2 / 4
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi tour the Suez Canal. (SPA)
3 / 4
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi tour the Suez Canal. (SPA)
4 / 4
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi tour the Suez Canal. (SPA)
Updated 05 March 2018

Egypt fetes Saudi crown prince during visit to Suez Canal

CAIRO: Egypt gave a warm welcome to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on Monday during a visit to the Suez Canal on the second day of his three-day trip.
Posters featuring Salman alongside President Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi lined major roads in central Cairo, where Salman will later visit the main Muslim and Christian institutions and see a performance at the Opera.
The prince and el-Sisi traveled through one of the new tunnels being built under the canal, before boarding a boat from a red-carpeted dock as a military band played fanfare.
Egypt seeks investments from Saudi Arabia to help develop the area, where Cairo wants to establish an international transport, logistics and production hub.
The two are also expected to discuss the ongoing wars in Syria and Yemen, as well as their joint boycott of tiny Gulf nation Qatar, which they accuse of fomenting extremism across the region.
Egypt, the most populous country in the Arab world, and Saudi Arabia, one of the wealthiest, tightened their longstanding alliance after el-Sisi led the military overthrow of an elected but divisive Islamist president in 2013, with Riyadh providing tens of billions of dollars in aid.
The two countries have plans to build a causeway across the Red Sea and to jointly develop areas on both sides.


2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

Updated 6 min 5 sec ago

2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

  • Three drones, six ballistic missiles launched toward Saudi Arabia by Houthis in a span of 24 hours
  • All six missiles and three drones were shot down by Coalition air defenses

JEDDAH: Two more drones launched by Houthi "terrorists" from Sanaa toward Saudi Arabia were shot down early Monday, the ninth hit in a span of 24 hours, Coalition forces supporting Yemen's legitimate government said .

In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), coalition spokesman Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said the two drones were intercepted and shot down in Yemeni airspace by Saudi-led air defense forces.

On Sunday evening, six ballistic missiles fired from Yemen were also intercepted by the coalition as they headed towards Jazan in south-west Saudi Arabia.

Al-Maliki said the missiles were launched by Houthis from Saada province "in an attempt to target civilian and civilian installations in Jazan city.” 

Earlier on Sunday, the coalition shot down a Houthi drone targeting the Saudi city of Khamis Mushayt, state news agency SPA reported.

The drone attack targeting Khamis Mushayt, state was the second on the city in recent days. 

Earlier this month, 10 drones attacked the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction plant in Saudi Arabia near the UAE border. The attack caused no injuries and did not disrupt operations, Saudi Arabia said.

Al-Maliki said the attacks reflect the size of the Houthi’s losses on the battlefield in Yemen as a result “of the continuing military operations deep inside Saada governorate.”

"All attempts by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia to launch drones are doomed to fail and the coalition takes all operational procedures and best practices of engagement rules to deal with these drones to protect civilians," Al-Maliki said.