WeChat accounts cross one billion mark

The one billion figure indicates the huge user base which Tencent has built up both inside and outside China for its all-in-one app. (AFP)
Updated 06 March 2018
0

WeChat accounts cross one billion mark

BEIJING: WeChat’s worldwide accounts have crossed the one billion mark, according to the chief executive of its parent company Tencent.
The all-in-one app is a daily necessity for most Chinese, bringing together messaging, social media, mobile payment, games, news and other services.
“WeChat’s worldwide monthly active users have surpassed the critical one billion mark,” CEO Pony Ma said Monday on the sidelines of China’s parliamentary session underway in Beijing.
“In the future we hope to use technological innovation to push forward the next developmental step of reform and opening,” Ma said.
He was referring to China’s economic liberalization policy that has fueled four decades of breakneck economic growth.
Although Ma said WeChat’s monthly active users had crossed the one billion threshold, a company spokesman said he was referring to its total number of accounts.
Still, the one billion figure indicates the huge user base which Tencent has built up both inside and outside China for its all-in-one app.
It compares with 2.1 billion monthly active users on Facebook and 1.5 billion on its messaging app WhatsApp.
The popularity of WeChat — and profits from its addictive mobile games — have pushed Tencent’s earnings and share price sharply upwards.
The company surpassed Facebook in market value last year and the 47-year-old Ma has rocketed to near the apex of China’s rich list.
He is the wealthiest delegate to the parliamentary session, according to Shanghai-based luxury magazine publisher Hurun Report, which estimated his fortune at $47 billion.


Mars rover still silent as red planet dust storm goes global

This composite image made from a series of June 15, 2018 photos shows a self-portrait of NASA's Curiosity Mars rover in the Gale Crater. (AP)
Updated 22 June 2018
0

Mars rover still silent as red planet dust storm goes global

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida: A dust storm at Mars is now global, keeping NASA’s Opportunity rover out of touch with Earth.
Flight controllers lost contact with the rover more than a week ago. At the time, the dust storm covered one-fourth of Mars. NASA said Wednesday the storm now encircles the red planet, with only tall volcano peaks and the poles exposed to the sun.
Without sunlight, the solar-powered Opportunity can only hunker down and wait for the sky to clear.
NASA’s nuclear-powered rover Curiosity is unaffected and is studying the extreme weather conditions. Mars hasn’t seen a storm like this since 2007.
Scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, say they remain optimistic Opportunity can survive. The rover has been exploring Mars since 2004.