Egypt hands BBC protest note over report on alleged ‘forced disappearances’

SIS Chief Diaa Rashwan (R) hands BBC Cairo bureau chief Safaa Faisal an official protest note during a Cairo meeting (Photo courtesy of SIS)
Updated 07 March 2018
0

Egypt hands BBC protest note over report on alleged ‘forced disappearances’

CAIRO: Egypt’s State Information Service (SIS) handed the BBC Cairo bureau a protest note over its controversial report on alleged forced disappearances the report claimed were carried out by Egyptian authorities.

SIS chief Diaa Rashwan handed the BBC’s Cairo bureau chief Safaa Faisal the objection note reacting to the report, saying the body demands “an official apology” from the British broadcaster over the report.

The head of BBC Cairo bureau, Safaa Faisal, praised the dialogue taking place between SIS and BBC, vowing that the British news network would seriously study the notes sent by SIS, local newspaper reports said.

“The Shadow Over Egypt” was a BBC report published in February that claimed Egypt’s security apparatuses participated in the enforced disappearance of Egyptian citizens.

Zubeida Ibrahim, an Egyptian woman mentioned in the report as one of those “forcibly disappeared,” has appeared on Egyptian television to refute the BBC disappearance and torture claims.

The incident stirred wide controversy between the Egyptian state and the British network, with the SIS accusing BBC of fabricating the story.


Malta journalist murder masterminds identified: report

Three men stand charged with Caruana Galizia’s murder. (Reuters)
Updated 18 November 2018
0

Malta journalist murder masterminds identified: report

  • A group of “more than two” Maltese nationals had been identified as having ordered her killing
  • Caruana Galizia, who died on October 16 last year aged 53, sought to expose scandals from petrol smuggling to money laundering, implicating members of the government and organized crime

VALLETTA: The masterminds behind the 2017 car-bomb murder of Maltese journalist and blogger Daphne Caruana Galizia have been identified according to unnamed police sources quoted by The Sunday Times of Malta.
The report quoted high-ranking officers as saying that a group of “more than two” Maltese nationals had been identified as having ordered her killing.
Three suspects are under arrest for having carried out the murder and facing trial, but the identity of whoever ordered it has remained a mystery.
Caruana Galizia, who died on October 16 last year aged 53, sought to expose scandals from petrol smuggling to money laundering, implicating members of the government and organized crime.
Her blog also launched highly personal attacks on Maltese politicians.
Caruana Galizia’s journalist son Matthew last month blasted what he called a “system of impunity” he said was protecting those who ordered her killing.
Her son, who believes the murder was ordered by powerful figures, said it would “send a terrible lesson if only the people who pressed the button to detonate the bomb ended up in prison.”
Three men stand charged with her murder. Brothers Alfred Degiorgio and George Degiorgio as well as Vince Muscat were arrested on December 4 last year and charged with the murder. Their case is still pending.
The Caruana Galizia family said on Sunday that they was not formally informed by the police that the suspected masterminds had been identified.