Arab interior ministers call for joint security action to confront terrorism

Arab Interior Ministers Council held its 35th session on Wednesday. (SPA)
Updated 07 March 2018
0

Arab interior ministers call for joint security action to confront terrorism

ALGIERS: Prince Abdul Aziz bin Saud called for intensified cooperation among the security agencies to confront terrorism when the Arab Interior Ministers Council held its 35th session on Wednesday

The Council met under the patronage of Algerian President Abdul Aziz Bouteflika and with the participation of the supreme security delegations in addition to representatives of a number of Arab and UN institutions.

Prince Abdul Aziz, Saudi Arabia's interior minister, said: “In light of successive events targeting the security, stability, and unity of our Arab homeland, we gather today to confront the consequences of these events with determination and common destiny. It is no secret that our council is one of the pillars of confronting all evils that target our societies.

“With regard to the Iranian blatant interferences in various countries in the world, particularly the Arab countries, and its support for terrorism to destabilize and tear apart societies through its terrorist and extremist arms which were founded and nurtured in a number of our Arab countries, we have to confront this danger, particularly that these terrorist organizations challenge legitimate governments and abduct the decision-making and sovereignty from these governments,” he added.

The prince called for intensifying cooperation among the security agencies in various fields and to push the Arab joint security action.

The session was attended by security delegations and representatives of the Arab League, the Arab Maghreb Union, Interpol, and the UN Office of Counter-Terrorism.

Algerian Interior Minister Noureddine Badawi stressed the importance of coordinating and intensifying efforts among Arab interior ministers to preserve the Arab world’s safety. Badawi also stressed the need to join hands in order to fight the terrorism some Arab countries have suffered from.


Calm in Hodeidah as observers move in to monitor cease-fire

Sporadic clashes continued until about 3 a.m. on Tuesday, but residents said there was calm after that. (AFP)
Updated 19 December 2018
0

Calm in Hodeidah as observers move in to monitor cease-fire

  • “Both parties said publicly they are abiding by the cease-fire,” a UN official said
  • The truce in Hodeidah officially began at midnight on Monday

JEDDAH: Truce monitoring observers will be deployed in the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah on Wednesday as the first 24 hours of a UN-brokered cease-fire passed without incident.

The Redeployment Coordination Committee comprises members of the Yemeni government supported by the Saudi-led coalition, and Houthi militias backed by Iran, and is overseen by the UN. 

The head of the committee will report to the UN Security Council every week.

Deployment of the observers is the latest stage in a peace deal reached after talks last week in Sweden. Both sides in the conflict agreed to a cease-fire in Hodeidah and the withdrawal of their forces within 21 days.

“Both parties said publicly they are abiding by the cease-fire,” a UN official said on Tuesday.

Local authorities and police will run the city and its three port facilities under UN supervision, and the two sides are barred from bringing in reinforcements.

UN envoy Martin Griffith said the committee was expected to start its work swiftly “to translate the momentum built up in Sweden into achievements on the ground.”

The truce in Hodeidah officially began at midnight on Monday. Sporadic clashes continued until about 3 a.m. on Tuesday, but residents said there was calm after that. 

“We are hopeful that things will go back to the way they were and that there will be no aggression, no airstrikes and lasting security,” said one, Amani Mohammed.

Another resident, Mohammed Al-Saikel, said he was optimistic the cease-fire would pave the way for a broader truce. “We are hopeful about this cease-fire in Hodeidah and one for Yemen in general,” he said. “We will reach out in peace to whoever does the same.”

The UN Security Council is considering a draft resolution that asks Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to submit proposals by the end of the month on how to monitor the cease-fire.

The resolution, submitted by the UK, “calls on all parties to the conflict to take further steps to facilitate the unhindered flow of commercial and humanitarian supplies including food, fuel, medicine and other essential imports and humanitarian personnel into and across the country.”