Infidelity claim puts India bowler Mohammad Shami’s India contract on hold

India’s cricket board has declined to renew fast bowler Mohammad Shami’s contract pending an investigation into “unsavory” allegations. (AFP)
Updated 08 March 2018
0

Infidelity claim puts India bowler Mohammad Shami’s India contract on hold

NEW DELHI: India’s cricket board has declined to renew fast bowler Mohammad Shami’s contract pending an investigation into “unsavory” allegations that he has been unfaithful to his wife.
Shami, who represented India during the tour of South Africa in January, has dismissed the accusations of infidelity as “part of a big conspiracy” to defame him.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) dropped Shami from a list of contracted players unveiled this week, which saw skipper Virat Kohli and other top Test players awarded salaries just above $1 million.
A supervisory committee overseeing BCCI affairs said the allegations against Shami put them in a difficult position and that his contract was on hold pending review.
“We are in a bit of Catch 22,” Vinod Rai, chairman of the committee, told cricket website ESPNcricinfo.
“Ordinarily you would distinguish and say that is a personal issue and the contract is a professional issue.
“But someone could easily point out and say this allegation is an unsavory one and you are still rewarding him.”
A source from the BCCI confirmed the board’s position when contacted by AFP.
Shami’s wife Hasin Jahan, a former model, went public on Tuesday with a series of messages that Shami, 27, allegedly sent to women during their four-year marriage.
She also accused the cricketer, whom she married in 2014, of domestic violence.
The story caused quite a stir on Indian social media, and media in the country reported that Jahan went to the police in Kolkata but did not file an official report against her husband.
Shami vented his frustration at his wife’s accusations and sought to clear his record.
“What is being said about my personal life is completely false,” he wrote on Twitter.
“It’s definitely a part of a big conspiracy against me. This is just an attempt to defame me.”
The board elevated Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Jasprit Bumrah to a new “A+” category for the highest salaried players.
Former captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Cheteshwar Pujara and Ravichandran Ashwin were placed in the next grouping and will receive an annual salary of $777,000.


Mohamed Salah’s slow start to the season no problem for Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp

Updated 21 September 2018
0

Mohamed Salah’s slow start to the season no problem for Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp

  • After this record-breaking season last campaign the Egyptian ace has only two goals so far this term.
  • Liverpool face Southampton this weekend having won all five matches so far.

LIVERPOOL: Mohamed Salah’s slow start to the season is not causing Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp to lose any sleep.
The 26-year-old Egyptian star — who had a disappointing World Cup after entering it with a shoulder injury he suffered in the Champions League final — has scored just twice this term.
Klopp’s lack of concern over his form is supported by the 44 goals he scored in all competitions after a similarly slow start in his first season with the club.
“Wow, that’s a crisis,” said Klopp sarcastically ahead of Liverpool’s clash against Southampton on Saturday.
“No one remembers that (his slow start last season), it is really no problem.”
Klopp, whose side have begun the season in great style and are yet to drop a point after five Premier League matches despite Salah’s lack of goals, admitted the Egyptian’s superb record had raised expectations.
“Of course, of course everyone expects that, that is clear,” he said.
“We don’t expect that. We want him to score as often as possible. It is completely normal everyone expects that.”
The German, whose side opened their Champions League campaign with a thrilling 3-2 home win over French champions Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday, said Croatian central defender Dejan Lovren, who has yet to feature after picking up a hip problem at the World Cup, is getting closer to return to the squad.
“Dejan is close,” said Klopp. “He looks really fit. He did a lactate test last week so fitness-wise he is — for his situation — on a really OK level.
“He is not for the squad for the weekend, of course, but we will see how soon we can try to involve him again.”