Liverpool star Mo Salah surprises hospitalized children in Egypt with video call

Mohamed Salah surprised children at a hospital in Egypt's Mansoura governorate by giving them a video call. (AFP)
Updated 10 March 2018
0

Liverpool star Mo Salah surprises hospitalized children in Egypt with video call

CAIRO: Hospitalized children in Egypt’s Mansoura govenrorate were delighted to hear the voice of Liverpool striker Mohamed Salah in a surprise phone call this week, according to local reports.
Al-Masry El-Youm newspaper said the parents of children patients receiving treatment at the Mansoura University’s Children’s Hospital had been seeking to contact the popular Egyptian footballer via the telephone.
A specialist at the hospital said the ill children were refusing to take their medication if they did not talk to Salah.
Nirvana Salah, a specialist at the hospital, said she finally succeeded in reaching one of the footballer’s relatives, who put her in touch with the player’s mother.
“I was surprised by the phone call from the player’s mother, who was on vacation with him, and she told me that Mohamed wants to talk to the children,” Salah said.
Within just hours, despite his engagement in a football camp with Liverpool, Salah spoke to the children through a video call.
The hospital’s director, Ahmed Refaie, said the hour-long call pleased the children very much, adding that Salah insisted that he speak to them via video so they could see him.
He added that the Egyptian star told the children that he was happy to contact them, and wished them a speedy recovery. He also urged them to take their medicine until they are cured and promised to visit them soon.


End Syria hospital attacks, Russia told at UN

Updated 19 July 2019
0

End Syria hospital attacks, Russia told at UN

  • Kuwait, Germany and Belgium asked for the hastily called closed-door session
  • Russian and Assad egime aircraft have since late April ramped up deadly bombardment of the Idlib region

UNITED NATIONS: Russia on Thursday opposed a United Nations Security Council resolution calling for an end to attacks on health facilities in Syria’s Idlib region, diplomats said after the latest meeting over violence in the country’s last major opposition bastion.
The outcome led to a rare statement following the meeting by the UN’s humanitarian chief, Mark Lowcock.
“The carnage must stop,” he said.
Russian and Assad egime aircraft have since late April ramped up deadly bombardment of the Idlib region of about three million people in northwest Syria, despite a deal to avert a massive government assault.
Kuwait, Germany and Belgium asked for the hastily called closed-door session, the latest of many they have sought since May in response to worsening fighting in Syria’s northwest.
The draft text, given to journalists, expressed “grave concern regarding the recent attacks on hospitals and other health facilities,” including a July 10 attack on Maarat National Hospital, one of the largest in the area and whose coordinates had been shared through the UN “deconfliction mechanism” that aims to spare civilian targets.
Russia again denied bombing such facilities.
“I provided information from my ministry of defense” and investigation demonstrated that there were “no attacks at nine out of eleven facilities” allegedly attacked, Moscow’s UN Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia told reporters.
“The two others were partially damaged but not by Russian” forces, he said.
His British counterpart, Karen Pierce, seemed skeptical.
“There’s some interest in an investigation into the Maarat Hospital hit. So I think that’s the thing to focus on,” she said at the end of the meeting.
“We’ve got our suspicions. But let’s get a proper look into that and get a proper answer.”
Lowcock said after the meeting that since July 1, “at least six health facilities, five schools, three water stations, two bakeries and one ambulance have been damaged or destroyed.
“Entire villages have been destroyed and emptied” because of air strikes, he said.
Regime air strikes on Tuesday killed 11 civilians in Idlib’s south, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The region on Turkey’s doorstep is administered by Syria’s former Al-Qaeda affiliate Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham, but other jihadist and rebel groups are also present.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres last week strongly condemned air strikes in the region following reports from a Syrian doctors’ group that four health facilities including the Maarat Al-Numan facility were hit during a single day of bombing.
Syria’s war has killed more than 370,000 people and displaced millions since it started in 2011 with a brutal crackdown on anti-government protests.