UK fashion chain French Connection close to turning business around

One of French Connection’s London stores. The fashion chain has been approached by a US group about a potential takeover. (Reuters)
Updated 13 March 2018
0

UK fashion chain French Connection close to turning business around

LONDON: British fashion chain French Connection Group said it was close to returning to profit and disclosed it had been approached by an unnamed US group about a potential takeover, although talks did not lead to an offer.
Shares in French Connection, which operates 116 outlets in Europe and North America, rose as much as 18.7 percent to 40 pence in morning trading.
“Our goal has been to return the group to profitability and I believe we are very close to achieving that aim, given the momentum that we are currently seeing within the business,” CEO Stephen Marks said.
French Connection said negotiations about a potential offer for the group had gone on for a number of months last year before they broke off.
Company founder Marks is the largest shareholder in the company, with a stake of around 41 percent. Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct International holds a 27 percent stake.
Activist investor Gatemore Capital last March urged the loss-making company to split itself or spin off its Toast brand, among other options.
Gatemore sold its entire stake in July, saying it was not satisfied with the pace of change at the retailer.
French Connection reported a 0.8 percent increase in like-for-like sales at its stores and said the retail market in Britain remained “particularly challenging.”
French Connection has been struggling to fend off competition from fast-fashion rivals such as ASOS Plc, Forever 21 and Inditex’s Zara. It has closed stores and hired new management and design teams as it tries to turn the corner.
It closed 11 outlets over the year.
“While it is clear that the retail market in which we are operating in the UK is unlikely to improve in the near future, we have clear visibility on the benefits we will obtain from the ongoing portfolio rationalization,” Marks added.
Underlying operating loss for the year ended Jan. 31 came in at £600,000 ($833,400), compared with a loss of £3.7 million in the prior year.
Revenue rose 0.5 percent to £154 million.


China cancels trade talks with US as tariff threats escalate

Updated 22 September 2018
0

China cancels trade talks with US as tariff threats escalate

  • A mid-level delegation was due to travel to Washington ahead of Liu’s visit, but the trip has now been abandoned
  • China added $60 billion of US products to its import tariff list as it retaliated against US duties on $200 billion of Chinese goods

SHANGHAI: China has canceled upcoming trade talks with the United States and will not send vice-premier Liu He to Washington next week, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing sources.
The Wall Street Journal said a mid-level delegation was due to travel to Washington ahead of Liu’s visit, but the trip has now been abandoned.
Earlier this week, China added $60 billion of US products to its import tariff list as it retaliated against US duties on $200 billion of Chinese goods set to go into effect from Sept. 24.