Turkish fire on Syria’s Afrin kills 22 civilians: monitor

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Thursday that more than 30,000 civilians had fled Afrin in 24 hours. (AFP)
Updated 16 March 2018
0

Turkish fire on Syria’s Afrin kills 22 civilians: monitor

BEIRUT: Turkish artillery fire on the Kurdish-majority enclave of Afrin in northern Syria killed at least 22 civilians on Friday, a monitor said.
“Since midnight (2200 GMT Thursday), 18 civilians, including five children, were killed by Turkish artillery fire on the city of Afrin,” the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
“There is fighting on the northern edge of the city,” the Britain-based monitoring organization said.
On January 20, Turkey and Syrian Arab rebel proxies launched an air and ground offensive on the Afrin region, which is controlled by the US-backed Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG).
Ankara has consistently denied targeting civilian infrastructure but the Observatory said at least 245 civilians, including 41 children, have been killed in less than two months.
Turkish-led forces have nearly fully encircled the city of Afrin, with only one road left open for civilians to flee to areas controlled by the Syrian regime or the YPG.
The Observatory said on Thursday that more than 30,000 civilians had fled Afrin in 24 hours.


Jordan links deadly blasts to militant cell

Updated 53 min 4 sec ago
0

Jordan links deadly blasts to militant cell

  • Analysis of the site found the blasts were caused by "homemade explosives buried in the ground matching the type used by a terrorist cell in Al-Fuhais" last August
  • The Salt region was the scene of heavy clashes between gunmen and security forces after the attack which targeted a security patrol at a music festival

AMMAN: Jordan said Friday that two deadly explosions which rocked the Salt region northwest of the capital Amman were apparently linked to a militant cell.
A security source had previously told AFP that old mines were behind Thursday's blasts which killed a farmer and three members of the security forces.
But analysis of the site found the blasts were caused by "homemade explosives buried in the ground matching the type used by a terrorist cell in Al-Fuhais" last August, government spokeswoman Jumana Ghneimat said.
She was referring to an August 11 bomb attack on a security patrol in the nearby town of Al-Fuhais that killed a police sergeant and wounded six others.
The Salt region was the scene of heavy clashes between gunmen and security forces after the attack which targeted a security patrol at a music festival.
Four security force members and three "terrorists" were killed during a raid on a militant hideout a day after the blast.