Trump, Saudi crown prince discuss risk of Iran and Houthis in Yemen

US President Donald Trump and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman discussed the situation in war-torn Yemen during a meeting in Washington. (AP)
Updated 21 March 2018
0

Trump, Saudi crown prince discuss risk of Iran and Houthis in Yemen

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman discussed the situation in war-torn Yemen during a meeting on Tuesday, in talks that covered the Houthi militias, Iranian activity and the humanitarian situation, the White House said.
"On Yemen, the president and the crown prince discussed the threat the Houthis pose to the region, assisted by the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps," it said in a statement on Wednesday. "The leaders discussed additional steps to address the humanitarian situation and agreed that a political resolution to the conflict is ultimately necessary to meet the needs of the Yemeni people."
Trump said he is looking forward to welcoming King Salman to Washington.
Just hours after the prince left the White House Tuesday, the US Senate rejected a bipartisan bid designed to withdraw US intelligence and reconnaissance support for the war in Yemen. The bill was defeated and the congress will not limit US military cooperation with Saudi Arabia in the Yemen war. Senators voted 55-44 to dismiss the bill.
Crown Prince Mohammed also met on Tuesday with Mitch McConnell, the leader of the majority in the Senate, and Speaker of the House of Representatives Paul Ryan to discuss bilateral issue and world development.
Later Crown Prince Mohammed met with Republican Senators Dan Sullivan, Tom Cotton, and Lindsey Graham, along with Democratic Senator Joe Manchin, in talks which the Saudi embassy said showed the "multidimensional" nature of the Kingdom's relations with the US.


Coalition acts against Houthi drone capabilities in Yemen’s capital

Updated 20 April 2019
0

Coalition acts against Houthi drone capabilities in Yemen’s capital

  • The attacks are a continuation of previous strikes aimed at reducing Houthi capabilities

JEDDAH: The Arab coalition has began an operation to diminish the drone capabilities of the Houthi militia at a presidential palace camp in Yemen’s capital Sanaa, Saudi Arabia’s AlEkhbariya TV announced early Saturday.

Earlier this month, a Houthi workshop manufacturing unmanned drones and a launchpad were destoryed in a coalition strike.

The attacks are a continuation of previous strikes aimed at reducing Houthi capabilities, and counter their efforts at launching attacks against the Kingdom.

On Apr. 3, five people were injured, including a woman and a child, when two Houthi drones targeting civilian areas in Saudi Arabia were intercepted and destroyed.

In early March, Saudi Arabia’s Royal Air Defense Force again shot down a Houthi drone that was flying toward the Kingdom.