Dubai completes funding for Dubai Metro’s Route 2020 extension project

The Roads and Transport Authority said that tunneling on the Route 2020 Project is progressing at a steady pace with more than 50 percent of the excavation work already completed. (Roads and Transport Authority)
Updated 22 March 2018
0

Dubai completes funding for Dubai Metro’s Route 2020 extension project

DUBAI: The government has completed the 9 billion-dirham financing exercise to complete the construction of the Dubai Metro’s Route 2020 extension project, the emirate’s Department of Finance said on Thursday.
The transaction consists of a 17-year billion dirham loan guaranteed by the French export credit agency Bpifrance Assurance Export and the Spanish export credit agency Compañía Española de Seguros de Crédito a la Exportación, with 14-year amortizations to start in 2020, and a 10-year conventional facility of 4 billion dirhams, with payments over six years to start in 2022.
The five-stage Route 2020 project, which will cost 10.6 billion dirhams, will extend the existing Dubai Metro Red Line to the Expo 2020 site and will have seven stations in between.
“The encouraging response received for this financing, illustrates the strong confidence of international banks in Dubai’s economy … we have been able to achieve long-term financing at competitive rates while at the same time allowing us to manage our budget proactively and in a fiscally responsible manner,” Abdulrahman Saleh Al Saleh, DoF director general, said in a statement.
Banco Santander, First Abu Dhabi Bank, HSBC Middle East Limited, Intesa Sanpaolo and Standard Chartered Bank acted as mandated lead arrangers and the facility providers for the financing.
The contract for the design and build for the project was awarded by Dubai’s Road and Transport Authority to a consortium of Alstom Transport, Acciona Infraestructuras and Gulermak.


Abraaj founder’s extradition hearing adjourned

Updated 18 April 2019
0

Abraaj founder’s extradition hearing adjourned

  • The US alleges that Arif Naqvi and his firm raised money for the Abraaj Growth Markets Health Fund, collecting more than $100 million over three years from US-based charities and investors
  • According to the SEC’s complaint, Naqvi misappropriated money from the health fund and commingled the assets with corporate funds of Abraaj Investment Management

LONDON: A case in a London court to extradite Arif Naqvi, the founder of collapsed private equity firm Abraaj, to the US on fraud charges was adjourned until April 26, a court official said on Thursday.
The official said that a former managing partner of Dubai-based Abraaj, Sev Vettivetpillai, had also been arrested and was facing a US extradition request linked to the same charges.
While at Abraaj, Vettivetpillai was head of impact investing in a role that oversaw the firm’s troubled health care fund. Abraaj’s executives are facing US charges that they defrauded investors, including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The US Securities and Exchange Commission alleges that Naqvi and his firm raised money for the Abraaj Growth Markets Health Fund, collecting more than $100 million over three years from US-based charities and other US investors.
According to the SEC’s complaint, Naqvi misappropriated money from the health fund and commingled the assets with corporate funds of Abraaj Investment Management and its parent company, and used it for purposes unrelated to the health fund.
Naqvi pleaded innocent last week in a statement released through a PR firm.
He was arrested in the UK earlier this month, while managing partner Mustafa Abdel-Wadood was arrested at a New York hotel, Assistant US Attorney Andrea Griswold told a Manhattan federal court on April 11.